GEN 2 Check engine light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the phasers are good you have a phaser solenoid stuck "open". Applying oil pressure to the phaser all the time.

Below about 1100 rpm the VVT system is shut off, oil pressure to the phasers is turned off and the lock pin inside the phaser is supposed to drop into its locking hole, thus locking the phaser at 0 degrees cam timing.

The codes displayed are basically saying.
The phaser is NOT doing what it is being told to do. Either bad phaser or bad solenoid (possibly a short in the harness or pcm Applying power/ground to the solenoid but that would be a long shot).
Exactly, good explanation.

The VCT solenoids are extremely sensitive to poor oil quality, so much so that Ford released a service message regarding these DTCs.

OP, did you buy the truck new? Poor maintenance history is the most common cause of VCT solenoid failure; they stick due to sludge and varnish buildup.

FML

Reaction score
As FT1 posted, it sounds like the VCT solenoid. This is very similar to the engine code on my SHO when it had this problem.

OP
OP
HtxRaptor_

HtxRaptor_

Reaction score
Exactly, good explanation.

The VCT solenoids are extremely sensitive to poor oil quality, so much so that Ford released a service message regarding these DTCs.

OP, did you buy the truck new? Poor maintenance history is the most common cause of VCT solenoid failure; they stick due to sludge and varnish buildup.
I bought the truck used with 52000 and since I've had it I would change the oil every 4-5k miles with Pennzoil with factory filter should I do an engine flush?