carry a spare in snow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

neveo

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have 20' fuel hostages with toyo open countrys. purchased 5 and still have my original set of stockers. i haven't had my spare on since i upgraded the wheels. I'm going to be driving through some heavy snowfall next week. does the extra weight of having the spare help traction, i already have big honking ADD bumpers in front and rear. how many of you guys who have aftermarket wheels use the original spare in the back, or a new spare or don't carry the spare at all.. due to mother nature i expect this will be my first time in heavy snowfall in lake tahoe since i got my truck last April....

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont have after market tires yet but, I will soon and I never go anywhere without a spare for my vehicle or my trailers... And yes, it will help with traction along with a full tank of fuel...

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont have after market tires yet but, I will soon and I never go anywhere without a spare for my vehicle or my trailers... And yes, it will help with traction along with a full tank of fuel...

X2.

OP
OP
neveo

neveo

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would you buy the spare and then not carry it in the spare tire holder? Thats makes no sense.

brought the new fuel octane spare when i ordered my full set. when i took the old stock one off to put in storage i never got around to putting the new spare on. something in my warped mind told me it would help MPG. then found a million other things to do, and still havent cleaned out my garage and some other stuff my wife wants me to do.

in any event im going to make a few trips this week to the northern Sierra's to Tahoe during winter snow storms , we are expecting 5 to 6 feet of snow over the next few days. the stock wheel spare and tire i think are about 25 lbs less in weight from my 20" fuel Octanes with toyo open countrys, i believe the width is slighty wider on the toyos.

should i put the stock spare or the spare fuel octane under the bed ? will the extra width and or weight on the octane/toyo spare while in the underbed carrier be an issue.

thanks

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
brought the new fuel octane spare when i ordered my full set. when i took the old stock one off to put in storage i never got around to putting the new spare on. something in my warped mind told me it would help MPG. then found a million other things to do, and still havent cleaned out my garage and some other stuff my wife wants me to do.

in any event im going to make a few trips this week to the northern Sierra's to Tahoe during winter snow storms , we are expecting 5 to 6 feet of snow over the next few days. the stock wheel spare and tire i think are about 25 lbs less in weight from my 20" fuel Octanes with toyo open countrys, i believe the width is slighty wider on the toyos.

should i put the stock spare or the spare fuel octane under the bed ? will the extra width and or weight on the octane/toyo spare while in the underbed carrier be an issue.

thanks

The issue will be if the stock tire is smaller than your fuels... Ya cant run with different size tires on...
Let me rephrase that... You can run with a different size but its not a good idea... The smaller tire will make more revs

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score

thanks

Hey, I'm heading to either Squaw or Sierra on Wednesday! I have been up every week and the truck handles like a champ in the snow, i really don't think 40 to 50 pounds will make a difference in the rear, but that's just my 2 cents. I have been really impressed with how well the rear is is planted for a truck. My old Sierra would get a little squirrelie here and there.

OP
OP
neveo

neveo

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm heading to either Squaw or Sierra on Wednesday! I have been up every week and the truck handles like a champ in the snow, i really don't think 40 to 50 pounds will make a difference in the rear, but that's just my 2 cents. I have been really impressed with how well the rear is is planted for a truck. My old Sierra would get a little squirrelie here and there.

great to hear how well it handles in the snow, by the time i recieved my truck last year i was already moved onto warm weather activities. im heading up to squaw or sugarbowl for a day trip on wednesday and back up thursday night for a few days. this could be an epic {well at least for this season series of storms} and will be the first time i have had the truck in what i hope to be deep snow..

i saw another raptor with aftermarket wheels in the spare and maybe it was me and my ocd but it looked like it was sitting lower than i remebered the stock spare. kinda off

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

The issue will be if the stock tire is smaller than your fuels... Ya cant run with different size tires on...
Let me rephrase that... You can run with a different size but its not a good idea... The smaller tire will make more revs

stock is
17x8.5
BFGoodrich All-Terrain
Tire Size: LT315/70R17

my set is
Fuel Octane with 35/12.5/20's

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
great to hear how well it handles in the snow, by the time i recieved my truck last year i was already moved onto warm weather activities. im heading up to squaw or sugarbowl for a day trip on wednesday and back up thursday night for a few days. this could be an epic {well at least for this season series of storms} and will be the first time i have had the truck in what i hope to be deep snow..

i saw another raptor with aftermarket wheels in the spare and maybe it was me and my ocd but it looked like it was sitting lower than i remebered the stock spare. kinda off

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

stock is
17x8.5
BFGoodrich All-Terrain
Tire Size: LT315/70R17

my set is
Fuel Octane with 35/12.5/20's

.5in = Not a big deal...

315/70/17 = 34.5

35/12.5/20 = 35.04

OP
OP
neveo

neveo

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks all, installed the 5th fuel octane in the carrier and off to the mountains. can't wait to see how the raptor as equipped does in the snow.