Burning smell after Off roading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HarleyGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While trying to find out where the hell the popping noise from the front axle/ or hubs while driving in 4x4high was coming from under my truck I noticed some smoke coming from exhaust right below the rear of the trans pan , it looked wet like it was leaking as you described in your thread . Nice , two issues to figure out all in one day . Lol :emotions133:

As for your first issue, if you haven't found the answer yet, mine was doing that and it ended up being the actuator was busted. Took it in and had it covered under warranty.

ITSALLGOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bang bang !

As for your first issue, if you haven't found the answer yet, mine was doing that and it ended up being the actuator was busted. Took it in and had it covered under warranty.

Thanks for the info , I haven't had a chance to continue my investigation with the loud as popping noise while in 4x4 high yet or even get an idea if it's a normal IWE noise or not ? I doubt it's normal though , but some folks on here say it is ? so you were having the same issue and found a defective solenoid leaking vacuum to the IWE hub while in 4x4?, therefore causing the hub to lock and unlock under a load ?

HarleyGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info , I haven't had a chance to continue my investigation with the loud as popping noise while in 4x4 high yet or even get an idea if it's a normal IWE noise or not ? I doubt it's normal though , but some folks on here say it is ? so you were having the same issue and found a defective solenoid leaking vacuum to the IWE hub while in 4x4?, therefore causing the hub to lock and unlock under a load ?

I'm not sure if it was the solenoid or not that caused the issue but the actuator was busted and some other things were busted at the same time. They replaced the actuator, hub, and something else (can't remember right now).

knine

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Took mine in for a look-see. They replaced something. Took truck home, parked it. Next trip, wrench comes up, hard shifting, power loss. Truck is back at dealer today. They said it had "two codes" but didnt elaborate. Said it looked like a "pinched wire" but they couldnt find it. Said it "could be related" to the previous work they did. Said "these things take a lot of time to track down".

I'm guessing it will be weeks before I get the truck back with the same problem now.

Sliver Raptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
mud cooking on hot exhaust? Love that smell... it is like mamma's cookin.

After reading through it would appear that you have 'solved' it. Hope you get your baby back soon.

knine

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Back home. TSB on lead rail mount in tranny....something else, left sheet in truck. Glad my buddy is home and running top notch again.

Mayhem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get the burning plastic smell on a semi regular basis. Not caused by off-roading in my case...

Usually happens after a few minutes on the highway. Tech guy thought that it might be the due to the transmission design, basically poor shifting and what not creating stress and as a result heating it to the point it causes the burning plastic smell. He expected it would be usually in situations at higher speeds with more acceleration..

However, I even get this in rush hour city traffic... so I don't know if that's the issue. But then I guess the tranny is shifting a lot in stop and go too, albeit not at speed.. still working hard.

Really smells like burning wires or something though... But yeah.. thumbs down for the automatic, if its caused by crap shifting.

Blind1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have noticed a smell the first time I off-road with the ORM engaged, and using the Manual shift mode, but I haven't really noticed it again. I guess I need to go play some more to see if it still does it.