Break Away Mud Flaps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This past weekend I was wheeling way way way off grid. Beyond roads and trails. In the process I managed to tear off my right rear mud flap. Never understood how it would be possible and now am very very aware..LOL

What happened was...as I was backing up in a particularly rocky area...barely moving...a rock was just large enough enough to catch the right rear mudflap and pinch it between the tire and the rock...not realizing this was happening and continuing to back up I literally ripped the mud flap from the truck. Pulled the bolts clean out of their threaded mounting positions. I'll never be able to use those holes again without a larger size nut/bolt. Without mud flaps the truck would have just laughed as it crawled right over the rock. soooo..... I Know I need mud flaps but I can see this situation happening again and again depending on what kind of off road conditions you encounter. Granted it is only a concern going in reverse and in the future I will be much more cognizant.

I was wondering if anyone has ever seen anything similar to these for our trucks:
https://www.minimizer.com/product-category/on-the-truck/fast-flaps/

The idea of a mud flap that will break away without damaging the truck or the flap is very appealing.

Any ideas?

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve ripped my rear flaps off three times now. Currently I’ve got just the pass side rear flap and both fronts. The front ones do keep the mud off though.