Brake system upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I doubt there is much difference in braking between the stock setup and any brake kits that fit under the stock 17" wheels.

If the master cylinder is not changed (and it doesn't on any of the BBKs), and the rotor is the same diameter- how exactly do you generate significantly more braking force? More swept pad area helps, but it's a minor contributor overall.

Sticking with the 17" wheel for all the Raptors is probably why Ford didn't do squat to the front brakes on the Raptor R. There might have been some gains to go max effort under a 17" wheel, but it wasn't worth a whole new set of parts.

The easy way home is going to a bigger rotor which increases the moment arm, and hugely increases the braking force with essentially no other changes. A kit that fits under an 18" wheel would be ideal, as there are plenty of 18" wheels and AT tires available, and you'd still have some sidewall.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Theres a couple youtube videos showing a before and after test with the 4 wheel Alcon 17" brakes (with their lightweight 2-piece hat instead of the boat anchor oem rotor). Huge difference in stopping distance and fade. With oem master cylinder, pedals, and booster. Ford didn't invest in an optional better braking system when they had a chance so eventually someone else did. But at $6K Alcons are a dream, not a realistic mod. If those front Wilwoods alone can shorten 60-0 braking by more than a car length in my 6200lb Raptor on 35's I think that's a legit upgrade.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Theres a couple youtube videos showing a before and after test with the 4 wheel Alcon 17" brakes (with their lightweight 2-piece hat instead of the boat anchor oem rotor). Huge difference in stopping distance and fade. With oem master cylinder, pedals, and booster. Ford didn't invest in an optional better braking system when they had a chance so eventually someone else did. But at $6K Alcons are a dream, not a realistic mod. If those front Wilwoods alone can shorten 60-0 braking by more than a car length in my 6200lb Raptor on 35's I think that's a legit upgrade.

That's why I bought mine used and am just refreshing them. lol Last time I checked by the time you paid shipping and tax you're talking almost 8k for the Alcons front and rear. If I hadn't have found a good deal on them I'd buy the Wilwoods.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Bought wilwood kit (for 17inch wheel) couple months ago... looks like will have some time to test fit next week... will report back

Glad to hear! I'm wondering if they may eventually make a matching rear kit as well to go under 17" wheels. Getting ready to finally put my Alcons on in a month or so once winter is over. I also bought a 22 RCSB F-150, but am leaning towards TBM brakes for it since they are offered.