Bought a 2020 Gen2, thinking about returning it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DvJohnybravo

Reaction score
Hello everyone. First off I’d like to say I absolutely love the gen2 but am having a frustrating first couple weeks of ownership. I bought a 2020 Raptor with 49k miles from CarMax on February 6th for $62k

Immediately after leaving the lot I noticed a weird noise coming from the rear bottom of the truck. I couldn’t go back to the dealership as I left at 10:30 PM (they closed at 9 & this was also on a Saturday) I called in to get my truck scheduled for service. Long story short my truck was in service for 12 days and the noise turned out to be a pinion bearing which was replaced under the power train warranty.

I got my truck back last Wednesday and while washing it this Saturday I noticed the right rear live valve shock had grease build up around the seals. Also I’ve been noticing a weird electronic buzzing noise whenever I turn the steering wheel. Does not happen all the time but I notice it every now and then and it’s extremely faint. So now it’s back at the shop.

Out of the 22 days since I got the truck. It’s been in the shop 12 days and counting and I’ve only had it for 10.5 days. I’m extremely frustrated at this point and am thinking of returning it.

Is this the beginning of a frustrating ownership with all these issues?

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
First post, welcome to FRF. Please post pictures of said prius.

Shocks are a wear item and need to be rebuilt around the 50k mark.

Hard to tell on the noise without a video. The steering rack is electric so again without a video, not sure which noise you are talking about.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find a private party to buy from. I dont trust any dealers on a performance vehicle that isnt knew. More than likely prople trade in problem vehicles then sell them outright

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most people don't sell a 3 year old vehicle unless it has problems. That's about the worst point on the depreciation curve, minus the second it's driven off the lot.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Or.....keep it and nit pick the crap out of it while it is still under their warranty. By the time you get done, the truck might be mostly new.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Sounds like a Covid / market scarcity trade in or they got tired of messing with it. did you get a carfax report or oasis report? you should.

If you heard the whine that early, the pinion was already bad when it was traded, no way the seller didn’t know about it. The shocks are pretty close to 50k, where I believe Fox starts recommending a rebuild/replace. Not sure what the steering noise could be.

welcome to FRF
pictures. or it’s a prius.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
wonder if they toughed it out or gave up