Borla Touring or FR Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine all set to go on but it did not fit. Looks good and well made but the set up for the screw is numbered with a 145 in it for the wheel base vs 133 for the scan but I got the scab version in the screw box. I am now waiting again...

I don't know if it was a 1 off issue or bigger but be aware. What I can say is it is a direct bolt on easy to install but it looks like the spare needs to be dropped to get the rear hanger in the bracket due to a longer arm thing

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a Borla system on the Crew cabs? I just spoke to the dealer and rather than send a new kit with a 1 piece set up going from the factory bolt on location to the muffler they sent me an 18 pipe and clamp to "make it fit" or at least that's what it feels like. I told the dealer I'm leaning towards not taking delivery as for the cost i think this should be a better system. I'm disappointed in Ford Racing if this is the way they plan to do this.....Rather than a kit of equal quality for each set up (Scab & Screw) they put a tube and clamp on the shorter system? Seems suspect and for $1500 I expect more. I'm as much of a FRPP fan as anyone but I'm 99% sure I'll be going another direction at this point. I don't want more clamps under there than is needed nor do i want a $1500 quick fix set up. Am I being unreasonable here? Does anyone have the borla set up and can advise if this is how it was supposed to be?

RAPTURR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a Borla system on the Crew cabs? I just spoke to the dealer and rather than send a new kit with a 1 piece set up going from the factory bolt on location to the muffler they sent me an 18 pipe and clamp to "make it fit" or at least that's what it feels like. I told the dealer I'm leaning towards not taking delivery as for the cost i think this should be a better system. I'm disappointed in Ford Racing if this is the way they plan to do this.....Rather than a kit of equal quality for each set up (Scab & Screw) they put a tube and clamp on the shorter system? Seems suspect and for $1500 I expect more. I'm as much of a FRPP fan as anyone but I'm 99% sure I'll be going another direction at this point. I don't want more clamps under there than is needed nor do i want a $1500 quick fix set up. Am I being unreasonable here? Does anyone have the borla set up and can advise if this is how it was supposed to be?

I thought the difference between the kits was the starter pipe. One just shorter than the other.

Spoke with Borla tech Today and he stated the Touring model is stock sound with a performance system. "more power".
S-type is ALL Attitude without the annoying drone in the cab....but you will be noticed
I had 2 cents just sitting around and I thought I would use them.

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I thought the difference between the kits was the starter pipe. One just shorter than the other.

Spoke with Borla tech Today and he stated the Touring model is stock sound with a performance system. "more power".
S-type is ALL Attitude without the annoying drone in the cab....but you will be noticed
I had 2 cents just sitting around and I thought I would use them.

I have the Borla Touring Catback, and IMO it does in no way sound like the stock system. Yes, it is only slightly louder than stock, but the tone is much deeper and fuller, less tinny. Manly, yet not loud.

It completely passes the wife test, though when driving close to a higher than curb high structure (where exhaust tips bounce sound off of it), the wife asked why the exhaust was so loud.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On your borla system is there 1 welded piece from the bolt on section to the mufflers or is there an additional pipe and clamp in there (assuming you have a screw)

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On your borla system is there 1 welded piece from the bolt on section to the mufflers or is there an additional pipe and clamp in there (assuming you have a screw)

I have a SCab.e

I've had mine for about a year now, but as I best recall, I was told the Borla Touring Catback was the same whether it was a SCab or a SCrew. That made no sense to me, but I purchased it anyway. For my SCab it fit perfectly.

Last edited:

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one they sent would fit a scab...I have a screw and no way it would work. Now they sent the tube and band and I feel like its a band aid. Even if this is the way the system is set up and I just didn't get the pipe in my box it feels even worse now. It seems odd that they wouldn't spend the time and money to weld something right but maybe I am too picky. I am not taking the one that is there though. My mind is made up and for the premium price to have it say ford racing I want something made to fit my truck....I will find something else

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep that's what happened. The site is mixed up and the orders must be too as no mid pipe in the box with the 145 inch part number.

I just sent it all back and got my credit back today. I want a bolt on but want one that is made for my truck not a fix to make one work on my truck. I will wait through the winter and decide what to do with my money...I am not happy about it but nothing I can do

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured out today what seems so wrong. I have already got my money back but the issue is the system sent has an "L" shaped arm to put in the hanger...it does not line up...the mid pipe sent has one too which would line up I assume based on where it would fit but I would the have a big ugly "L" shape hanging off of the exhaust for no reason. Maybe it is never seen or never gets hung up on anything but I know it's there as proof the system was not made for my use. I don't care for the mid pipe and band idea but that unused bracket for me was a real deal killer. I don't know if they just sent me the wrong system and were trying for a quick fix or if that is the plan. Either way not what I would expect from a $1500 Ford Racing system.