better door detent location mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just waiting on mine to arrive. They have been shipped so just another weekend mod when I get time.

Might have to order a set for the rear doors depending on how much of a pain I find to do the instal and how well they work. But truth be told I really just want one for the drivers door as that is my biggest pain. Normally I just let people out and park (and vice versa)

peepsnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed both front doors in less than 15min! Now I have to get used to only swinging the door to the second stop.

It took longer to get the drivers side cover back on then anything else!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

bakkbakk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after pissing with my door trying to not hit the car next to me today I can finally see what the hell these threads have been about. My other truck is an 04 f150 and not near the stupid was put into that detent compared to this one.

Are these the parts of the truck the ******* new guys get to engineer or what?

Take your creation out to the damn parking lot and test it for f sake

peepsnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after pissing with my door trying to not hit the car next to me today I can finally see what the hell these threads have been about. My other truck is an 04 f150 and not near the stupid was put into that detent compared to this one.

Are these the parts of the truck the ******* new guys get to engineer or what?

Take your creation out to the damn parking lot and test it for f sake

So much not good English. But I hear ya!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Toonz

Reaction score
I was following the original thread on the other forum when Northlight thought up the idea and was trying to get it done. He was definitely thorough in his research and methods. I'm glad to see this make it to a final product. I will be ordering a pair today.

D

Deleted member 12951

I was able to install the driver side, no problem. But I gave up on the passenger side. I did the string thing but what I ran into is I could barely pull up on the plastic plug. There is a box in front of the majority of the plug that has SVT on it. I was able to drop the old door detent and see it but wasn't able to grab it and pull it out because I couldn't get the opening large enough.

How in the heck are you guys doing the passenger side?

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I was able to install the driver side, no problem. But I gave up on the passenger side. I did the string thing but what I ran into is I could barely pull up on the plastic plug. There is a box in front of the majority of the plug that has SVT on it. I was able to drop the old door detent and see it but wasn't able to grab it and pull it out because I couldn't get the opening large enough.

How in the heck are you guys doing the passenger side?

I'm not going to say it was easy, but I held it with the index and middle finger of my left hand, then once I was able to get it into the opening I used my right hand to guide it. It's pretty frustrating but you'll get it.

bakkbakk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ordered. Maybe Ill have some mobility and time to do it while off on surgery soon

Rickoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the interior, reach up behind the passenger door jamb. Pull the rubber grommet off at to top. (Don't remove it, its not needed and is a pain to get back on of you do.)

Tie a 4-5 foot string onto the detent arm. Remove the two nuts from the detent. Push it through and reach up with two fingers and grab it, removing it from the interior. In case you drop it, the string will help you pull it back up to grab it again.

One you get it out, Tie the end of the string to the new one and pull it up and into the well and through the opening, into the jamb with the string. Replace nuts, tighten and you're done.

It's really not that difficult.