bed tie down points?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turning Blue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CGXSNC0/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

a tie down solution that isn't $300 say it ain't so.

not planning on replacing the bolts or clips despite them being designed that way.

I would be surprised if at the ford factory. when building trucks they actually wait to install the bolts AFTER the bedliner is sprayed.

I bet they build all the trucks raw. Then remove the bolts for the trucks getting a spray in liner, then reuse those trucks bolts and clips.

anyhow. I get they are self threading clips. Some blue locktite is going to be used for insurance.

I have the factory bed liner. It was on the truck when I found it new on the lot. Ford doesn't remove the bed bolts, tie downs, or box link brackets before they apply the bed liner. They spray right over them! I just removed all of the tie downs and box link brackets to install a Bed Rug. I would never order the factory spray in liner, and would recommend that others avoid it too. I didn't touch the bed bolts, but they're covered as well.

Christyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah slow down killer. drilling into an aluminum bed is not the same as putting a screw in plywood.

first off, nuts and bolts would be the way to go.

You're right, it's easier. Also, nuts and bolts is not the way to go. You'd be a lot better off with a rivnut, like they use in plenty of factory applications for sheet metal attachment.

I installed L-track/airline track in my bed. Cheap sticks off amazon and a few single points in the middle. I installed them with M6 rivnuts using an amazon riv-nut installer.

Rails

Single Points

Rivnut Tool

This is a very common solution for tieing down cargo and motorcycles, or the seats you sit in on an airplane. If you knew how the movable tie down points worked, you'd understand.

You want low tie down points but dont want to drill into the bed. Options are limited. Also, it's amazing what you found when you spent a few seconds and did a search, huh?

IMG_20200617_182659.jpg

OP
OP
txgunsntrucks

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
honestly. right or wrong I don't much care.

I'm not going to drill holes in the bed of my truck. plenty
of existing tie down spots or bolts to anchor to.

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CGXSNC0/?tag=fordraptorforum-20

a tie down solution that isn't $300 say it ain't so.

not planning on replacing the bolts or clips despite them being designed that way.

I would be surprised if at the ford factory. when building trucks they actually wait to install the bolts AFTER the bedliner is sprayed.

I bet they build all the trucks raw. Then remove the bolts for the trucks getting a spray in liner, then reuse those trucks bolts and clips.

anyhow. I get they are self threading clips. Some blue locktite is going to be used for insurance.

Ford sprays over the bed bolts which is one reason many prefer Line-X.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Put the D-Rings in my Bed last year...works great...
You will need a good grinder to grind out a small section on them so the original bolt fits,then just hit it with some black spray paint.
Takes about 2 hrs or so,less if your younger..LOL
Best price I found was from mymoparpart.com
Good luck....

Order Contents:
P/N Quantity Price EA Description
05170492AA 6 $ 5.94 RETAINER.

Order Summary:
1 products , 6 items $ 35.64
Shipping & Handling to WA, USA $ 9.95
Total
$ 45.59

dilmorecg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the d ring bed bolt set up in mine. Definitely nice. I have my tool box secured down with the ones closest to the cab. I also have the factory bed liner. I pulled the liner off the bolts when I took them out. Much cleaner that way. Before I took them out I scored the edge with a knife so it didnt pull/twist on the spray liner. Also, I have mine facing diagonal in toward the middle so I can do a criss cross strap down on like a tire if I ever need to.