bed tie down points?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DanT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw this somewhere in my internet surfing - run coated chains from front to back on both sides. Attach them to factory tie downs with a carbiner clip - now you have a cross bed, lower tie down!

Xtinct

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant believe we even have to have this discussion. I was shocked that basic lower tie downs were not present in the Gen2. Ford really needs to get their act together... I need a tiedown way more than I need washer fluid on a front camera...

Raptus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're right, it's easier. Also, nuts and bolts is not the way to go. You'd be a lot better off with a rivnut, like they use in plenty of factory applications for sheet metal attachment.

I installed L-track/airline track in my bed. Cheap sticks off amazon and a few single points in the middle. I installed them with M6 rivnuts using an amazon riv-nut installer.

View attachment 146481

I installed L-track/airline track in my bed. Cheap sticks off amazon and a few single points in the middle. I installed them with M6 rivnuts using an amazon riv-nut installer.

Rails

Single Points

Rivnut Tool

This is a very common solution for tieing down cargo and motorcycles, or the seats you sit in on an airplane. If you knew how the movable tie down points worked, you'd understand.

You want low tie down points but dont want to drill into the bed. Options are limited. Also, it's amazing what you found when you spent a few seconds and did a search, huh?

View attachment 146481[/QUOTE]
You're right, it's easier. Also, nuts and bolts is not the way to go. You'd be a lot better off with a rivnut, like they use in plenty of factory applications for sheet metal attachment.

Rails

Single Points

Rivnut Tool

This is a very common solution for tieing down cargo and motorcycles, or the seats you sit in on an airplane. If you knew how the movable tie down points worked, you'd understand.

You want low tie down points but dont want to drill into the bed. Options are limited. Also, it's amazing what you found when you spent a few seconds and did a search, huh?

View attachment 146481

Thanks for the info on the riv-nut installer. I have never seen one of those before! Looks like I need a new tool! :)

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

lateralis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried aluminum rivet nuts to avoid the galvanic corrosion? I was thinking it might make sense to install an aluminum backer plate under the tailgate with the rivet nuts installed into it, or the rivet nuts securing that backer plate to the truck bed. Might be overkill.

https://www.rivetsonline.com/rivet-nuts-threaded-inserts/aluminum-rivet-nuts-threaded-inserts

I wouldn't use aluminum rivet nut for anything load bearing. Just make sure the rivet nuts you use are Zinc plated and you won't need to really worry about galvanic corrosion.