Baja Designs: General Discussion Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
XL80's are what I am running with just spot lens and love them. Tons of light output.
The Racers are half the lumens but drop from a 6 degree beam to a 4 degree beam so the spot is even further.

If you want a tight beam with distance go racer. If the bars you have now do good with the near light needs then the Racers are probably what you want.

I just ordered the 60" Arc Racer for my roof to complement my XL80's

Also they did go into detail on this in this thread. Here they have pictures showing the output
https://www.flickr.com/photos/147137575@N04/sets/72157674546731405

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

29893546392_aa14092b48_k.jpgNight Shots - XL80 Combo by Baja Designs, on Flickr

29973332956_3849b118f1_k.jpgNight Shots - XL Racer Spot by Baja Designs, on Flickr

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Few Questions:

I'm looking for some hood mounted lights with no cut mounts.

I'm currently running two cheap 40" curved bars that came on on Rogue Racing bumper and there isn't much light output/throw.

What are the differences between XL80, XL Racer, XL-Pro, and XL Sport?

Will these be able to run off Aux Switch 3 or 4? Or do they draw too much power?

Thanks.

Hey Carl. I am running the XL Racers on no cut hood mounts in the spot configuration. They replaced my vision x 4.5" HID and the XL Racer blows them away in output and distance. They actually make my 21" 17,000 lumen vision x light bar look dim.

I bought a set of XL 80s driving lens in a scratch aand dent sale now I need to find a bumper to put them on.

I think a great set up would be XL Racers on the hood, a pair of driving XL80s and a pair of wide cornering XL Pros in a bumper. This combo provides a lot of lighting options for different conditions i.e. Clear, Dust, Snow & rain

You will be very happy with Baja products I have seen a lot of lights over the years and in my opinion these are the best so far. I am very interested in the new Onx6 high power bars also.

OP
OP
Baja Designs

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Few Questions:

I'm looking for some hood mounted lights with no cut mounts.

I'm currently running two cheap 40" curved bars that came on on Rogue Racing bumper and there isn't much light output/throw.

What are the differences between XL80, XL Racer, XL-Pro, and XL Sport?

Will these be able to run off Aux Switch 3 or 4? Or do they draw too much power?

Thanks.

Carl,

Thanks for posting up. I sent you an email yesterday with some information but will post up here. I’m definitely happy to help you out with a light package.
Since these are on Hood Mounts I would recommend the Spot pattern. The XL80 is only available in Driving/Combo so I’d recommend these three options.
Here is some information:

Ford Raptor, Hood Mount Kit
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/ford-f-150-04-15-raptor-10-16-hood-mount.asp
$134.95

Lighting Options:
XL Sport, Pair, Spot (20w ea/ 1800 Lumens ea)
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/XL-Sport-LED-Light-Pair.asp
$389.95 ------ $350.95

XL Pro, Pair, Spot (40w ea/ 4900 Lumens ea)
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/xl-pro-pair-high-speed-spot.asp
$689.95 ------ $620.96

XL Racer, Pair, Spot (40w ea/ 4300 Lumens ea) ~40% more distance than XL Pro. Yes the lumen count is less, but you have more usable light in long range applications.
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/XL-Racer-Edition-LED-Light-Pair.asp
$789.95 ------- $710.96

The Max Amp draw for these pairs is 6.66A. You can easily hook up to either AUX switch. We also have upfitter wiring available!
Happy to give you 10% off any of these products for you (800)422-5292x114.
Please let me know if you have any questions! Thanks and have a great day

Thank You,
Bailey, Baja Designs

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Not sure why you just can't get these replacement lenses and do it yourself.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/xl-pro-sport-spot-lens-kit.asp

I will ask my rep at BD if we can order XL80 with spot as a custom build. I know I can order custom builds on other lights.

You can just get replacement lenses. And it was a recent change where BD now does not sell them as spot. Prior you could order them as spot and well actually they came with both spot and combo lenses in the box.

For hood mount I did not care that it was not a recommended setup as you don't get much more light down range over the combo, I wanted as little light as possible on the hood and wanted XL80's so if I moved them to the bumper I could then run the combos. But they worked perfect for me and have no need to order the XL racers.

D

Deleted member 12951

You can just get replacement lenses. And it was a recent change where BD now does not sell them as spot. Prior you could order them as spot and well actually they came with both spot and combo lenses in the box.

For hood mount I did not care that it was not a recommended setup as you don't get much more light down range over the combo, I wanted as little light as possible on the hood and wanted XL80's so if I moved them to the bumper I could then run the combos. But they worked perfect for me and have no need to order the XL racers.

Yep you are right, they won't build it with a spot, have to purchase the lenses and DIY. I did confirm the XL Pro/Sport lenses fit the XL80.

OP
OP
Baja Designs

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
And despite what BD says.. Ha Ha :mwah1: You can run the XL80's with the Spot lens in place of the combo lens. As that is what I am doing.

You can definitely order any of our Lens Kits and have the XL80 be any pattern or color you want.
https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/Replacement-Lenses.asp

All XL Series Lenses are the same.

The reason we don't recommend the XL80 in Spot is because of the LED being used. It doesn't offer any extra performance in Distance over the XL Pro. It does offer A LOT more performance in nearfield and midfield. We will be looking at possibly upgrading the XL80 in early 2017 for even MORE performance :biggrin:

That's about as much as I can say :favorites13:

-Bailey, Baja Designs

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Long as you don't say you are upgrading the 60" Arc racers bar early 2017 since I just ordered one of those.. :biggrin:

But if you want someone to test the upgraded XL80'***** me up. Would love to put an XL80 racer on the hood mounts and move the XL80's I have down to my bumper to replace my KC driving HID's.

OP
OP
Baja Designs

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Long as you don't say you are upgrading the 60" Arc racers bar early 2017 since I just ordered one of those.. :biggrin:

But if you want someone to test the upgraded XL80'***** me up. Would love to put an XL80 racer on the hood mounts and move the XL80's I have down to my bumper to replace my KC driving HID's.

Nothing planned as of now for the Racer Edition. If anything comes up it will probably be at least 6 months away.