Baja Designs: General Discussion Thread - GEN 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. wow what a difference!

This is a picture of a 30" S8 Driving/Combo from one of our customers!

567c8cc5e89ceac8188b65ac676a73e4.jpg

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I installed the lower grill kit yesterday. Much thanks to Nick at Apollo Optics for helping me with this purchase. The kit was easy to install.

How does it perform? Amazing! It lights up everything- like you have a switch to turn on the sun! Almost 12,000 lumens through that little 10" bar! I love it.

I also have the S8 30" light bar on order, which sounds much more complicated to install. We'll see...

Okay, pics: I initially posted some night shots taken with my cell phone, but to get a more accurate representation of the BD light bar, I used my DSLR in manual mode, so nothing about the exposure changed except the light source.

The first nighttime shot is low beams; the second is high beams; the third is the Onx6 light bar with the high beams; and, the fourth is the Onx6 only. Hope this helps everyone see what the BD light bar adds.

In Night Pic 2, which is JUST your Hi's vs Night Pic 4, which is JUST your Onx6 there doesn't seem to be too much of a difference...in fact the Hi Beam only pic looks like a crisper whiter light? In Night Pic 3, with Both the Hi's & the Onx6 on it's clearly much more intense lighting right out in front of the truck...

On a scale of 1-10 how happy are you with the Onx6 and how much more improved real world do you think the lightning is?

gneissday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Night Pic 2, which is JUST your Hi's vs Night Pic 4, which is JUST your Onx6 there doesn't seem to be too much of a difference...in fact the Hi Beam only pic looks like a crisper whiter light? In Night Pic 3, with Both the Hi's & the Onx6 on it's clearly much more intense lighting right out in front of the truck...

On a scale of 1-10 how happy are you with the Onx6 and how much more improved real world do you think the lightning is?

Hey Bosssho, maybe the pics just don't convey what the human eye can see, but the Onx6 hi-output casts much more light, both laterally and distance-wise than the OEM high beams. It's pretty easy to see the significant increase in lateral spread, but when you zoom in a bit you can see how much more light is cast down range (look at the telephone pole and those trees far down on the left side of the road. That pole is several hundred feet away).

The light from the OEM headlights is definitely cooler than the BD light. For me, the warmer tone of the BD lights is much easier on the eyes and goes back to my comment about "having a switch to turn on the sun", because it's like daylight.

I would rate this a 10/10 (based on the amount and quality of light from only a 10" bar). Remember, this high output version is almost like having 3 of the original Onx 8" lightbars (or three 10" S8's), which were rated at 4,300 lumens per section and reviewed very well. The real world improvement is substantial and really allows you to have a better perspective of your surroundings, which for me increases the enjoyment of nighttime adventures. In reality, I will be using my high beams with the Onx6 and S8 for nighttime off road excursions, so everything together should give great coverage.

In summary, when I switch on the Onx6, I find myself saying, "Oh, so that's what's out there".

Last edited:

TMAC3

Reaction score
Can someone from Baja Designs let us know when the S8 light bar is going to ship. There seems to be some discrepancy in my understanding of "shipping now" and "shipping eta soon".

Been waiting a long time and I'm growing impatient - orders shouldn't be taken if they cannot be filled.

OP
OP
Baja Designs

Baja Designs

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Can someone from Baja Designs let us know when the S8 light bar is going to ship. There seems to be some discrepancy in my understanding of "shipping now" and "shipping eta soon".

Been waiting a long time and I'm growing impatient - orders shouldn't be taken if they cannot be filled.

Some of the S8 Light Bar kits are shipping now. Lights are being built today and will continue to be built tomorrow. If you have an order # please PM me or email [email protected] and I can send you an updated ship date. I will do my best to keep everyone updated on our current stock of lights and with new shipment ETAs.

Thank You,
Bailey, Baja Designs

gneissday

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My S8 arrived today, so the units are shipping. Hang in there!

Jetsco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I installed the lower grill kit yesterday. Much thanks to Nick at Apollo Optics for helping me with this purchase. The kit was easy to install.

How does it perform? Amazing! It lights up everything- like you have a switch to turn on the sun! Almost 12,000 lumens through that little 10" bar! I love it.

I also have the S8 30" light bar on order, which sounds much more complicated to install. We'll see...

Okay, pics: I initially posted some night shots taken with my cell phone, but to get a more accurate representation of the BD light bar, I used my DSLR in manual mode, so nothing about the exposure changed except the light source.

The first nighttime shot is low beams; the second is high beams; the third is the Onx6 light bar with the high beams; and, the fourth is the Onx6 only. Hope this helps everyone see what the BD light bar adds.

Looks great!!

bosssho

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Bosssho, maybe the pics just don't convey what the human eye can see, but the Onx6 hi-output casts much more light, both laterally and distance-wise than the OEM high beams. It's pretty easy to see the significant increase in lateral spread, but when you zoom in a bit you can see how much more light is cast down range (look at the telephone pole and those trees far down on the left side of the road. That pole is several hundred feet away).

The light from the OEM headlights is definitely cooler than the BD light. For me, the warmer tone of the BD lights is much easier on the eyes and goes back to my comment about "having a switch to turn on the sun", because it's like daylight.

I would rate this a 10/10 (based on the amount and quality of light from only a 10" bar). Remember, this high output version is almost like having 3 of the original Onx 8" lightbars (or three 10" S8's), which were rated at 4,300 lumens per section and reviewed very well. The real world improvement is substantial and really allows you to have a better perspective of your surroundings, which for me increases the enjoyment of nighttime adventures. In reality, I will be using my high beams with the Onx6 and S8 for nighttime off road excursions, so everything together should give great coverage.

In summary, when I switch on the Onx6, I find myself saying, "Oh, so that's what's out there".

Great follow up and description my man...thanks...and glad you're that happy with the results.

vsayler

Reaction score
Problems installing S8 bar behind grill

Working to install the S8 bar behind my grill. Got everything apart okay, but the light doesn't seem to fit inside the grill as shown in the pictures and the brackets are therefore too short. See attached picture. Any advice appreciated! (I guess that is why you don't install on the weekend!)

Attachments

• IMG_1606.jpg
    IMG_1606.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 92