Axle hop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to go with traction bars myself. Just waiting for companies to confirm the 2017 Raptor fitment. For example, BDS has the Recoil traction bars that look cool for the standard F150s and need to test on the Raptor. We have the unique frame that may or may not make a difference.

Nevertheless, take a look at those as an alternative solution to Deavers, etc.

thanks for the input I don't have the gen2 I have 2014 Raptor and the BDS system looks perfect for me. I just looked thru the intrewebs for about 2 hours and this recoil kit will work on raptors upto 2017 no one prob has it on 2018 yet but I seen it with pictures on my truck. I am going to order this with the whipple gen 3 super charger. thanks

hkguns

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone find success with aftermarket springs or shocks to reduce some do the axle hop?

Once the road gets a little washboard... the rear end is all over the place when you’re tying to accelerate.

Curious if anyone has had success with deavers, replacement fox shocks with rezzies... etc?

Thanks

Once you get used to it that is actually a feature I’ve grown to like. It’s a hoot getting on it and keeping it under control. I prefer that it is very well behaved in the truly rough stuff.

Last edited:

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Once you get used to it that is actually a feature I’ve grown to like. It’s a hoot getting on it and keeping it under control. I prefer that it is very well behave in the truly rough stuff.

I'm with you. Plus deflating the rear tires a bit or turning on 4A settles it quick.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I like the look of the stock raptor when it is not level. Nose down a little if you will. This seems to be contrary to everyone else around here. I don't think that I would add collars just for the look but if it will reduce the wheel hop I might have to pull the trigger on maybe the RPG collars. It makes sense that leveling might add weight to the rear that is not unsprung and thus reduce wheel hop. Can any of these collars be done without a spring compressor? Which one is easiest to install (SVC, RPG, Icon)?

If you go with the RPG 1.5” Collars, you’ll have about 1” of lift once they settle so you’ll still keep some of the nose down look that you prefer. Please let me know if you have additional questions!

Apache

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a little confused as to how the 2nd Gen's feel with Deavers on them. I had thought from all the responses on the forum that I had read, that they made the ride a bit softer in the rear (hence the sag with towing) but in other responses it appears that they firm up the ride. I'm interested in Deaver +2's for my 2018 but most of my driving will be on bad roads (in the Caribbean) and I don't want to harden the ride if that means i'll feel every pothole. Can you shed some light on this for me.

Thanks.

Deaver springs will fix the issue. Additionally, the upgraded Fox 3.0 shocks with external reservoirs have also corrected the issue.

Be advised, if you add the Deaver springs you will need to add an extension plate for your existing factory jounce/bump stop or go with aftermarket bump stops from ADD, RPG, SVC, etc. Failure to extend the factory bump stops or add aftermarket bump stops will risk damaging the shock during full compression by over-compressing the shock.

Additionally, the ride quality both on-road and off-road will be improved with the new springs. One thing to consider, if you tow or haul quite often, you will lose some towing ability with the Deavers and have more sag in the rear-end. That's the trade-off of removing the factory rear blocks and upgrading the springs.

If you have more questions or would like to go over your options, please let me know and I'll be happy to discuss options with you.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a little confused as to how the 2nd Gen's feel with Deavers on them. I had thought from all the responses on the forum that I had read, that they made the ride a bit softer in the rear (hence the sag with towing) but in other responses it appears that they firm up the ride. I'm interested in Deaver +2's for my 2018 but most of my driving will be on bad roads (in the Caribbean) and I don't want to harden the ride if that means i'll feel every pothole. Can you shed some light on this for me.

Thanks.

Its a progressive leaf, so across the board they will be an improvement, ie. Rough roads, pot holes, even nice road pavement seams. Now if someone were to be running a heavy duty load spring (HD/+3/+4 /etc) with nothing in the bed, the ride will be stiffer/bumpier as result. Buy the rate you expect to be running the majority of the time. As for axlehop, this will also be reduced greatly.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks.

As @Sitdown noted, they're a progressive rate spring. You'll notice better ride both on-and-off-road with the +2. The spring rate on the +3 is slightly increased and is the recommended spring for folks who carry some weight with them in their bed. However, the ride is not jarring even with the +3 version.

A higher rate spring built for heavier loads will ride rougher when unloaded, however, that should not be a concern if going with a standard rate spring. In fact, your ride quality will be increased across the board with the only sacrifice being more sag when towing or hauling.

Last edited:

Apache

Reaction score
Thanks Guys. Much appreciated!

Its a progressive leaf, so across the board they will be an improvement, ie. Rough roads, pot holes, even nice road pavement seams. Now if someone were to be running a heavy duty load spring (HD/+3/+4 /etc) with nothing in the bed, the ride will be stiffer/bumpier as result. Buy the rate you expect to be running the majority of the time. As for axlehop, this will also be reduced greatly.

As @Sitdown noted, they're a progressive rate spring. You'll notice better ride both on-and-off-road with the +2. The spring rate on the +3 is slightly increased and is the recommended spring for folks who carry some weight with them in their bed. However, the ride is not jarring even with the +3 version.

A higher rate spring built for heavier loads will ride rougher when unloaded, however, that should not be a concern if going with a standard rate spring. In fact, your ride quality will be increased across the board with the only sacrifice being more sage when towing or hauling.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For the higher power level trucks only traction bars are going to cure the axle hop. Deavers help some but they won't cure it.

Check with Rogue Racing to see if they have confirmed fitment for 2017+. They make the best set. Expensive.

Separately, if you are near SDHQ, they will build you a very nice set but the last I heard they will only do it on the truck. Much more affordable than RR.