Appropriate tire pressure with cargo and hot temps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IDontDoUrban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We’re moving from WA State to TX this week and I’m on day two of a five day drive in the Raptor. I’m carrying close to 1000 pounds including me. I’d love some advice on what pressures to run given the weight and ambient temps in the 90’s. So far, the warm tire pressures are running around 49 psi. In Moab tonight...it only gets hotter from here. Thanks in advance.

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
38 cold is on the door.

so basically you already started at like 47. why.

45 warm with that kind of weight probably works nice. just as a guess

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Set them to placard specs or a pound or two over when cold with a quality gauge, not the TPMS monitor. If you are pulling a trailer, you could consider putting them 4-5 higher in the rear to help offset the weight and heat.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
You definitely don’t want to be low pressure with a big payload, but I’d be careful about going over pressure too. check the max cold psi on the sidewall and keep an eye on your tires at every stop. For a short haul, I wouldn’t be much concerned, but for long distances it’s worth keeping an eye on. Plus you don’t want to wear the tires prematurely for your return trip.

We’re moving from WA State to TX this week and I’m on day two of a five day drive in the Raptor

I’ve just spoken to my real estate agent and Texas isn’t admitting any more transplants from ...coastal states. :p

Maybe California or Oregon ?
;)

OP
OP
IDontDoUrban

IDontDoUrban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You definitely don’t want to be low pressure with a big payload, but I’d be careful about going over pressure too. check the max cold psi on the sidewall and keep an eye on your tires at every stop. For a short haul, I wouldn’t be much concerned, but for long distances it’s worth keeping an eye on. Plus you don’t want to wear the tires prematurely for your return trip.

I’ve just spoken to my real estate agent and Texas isn’t admitting any more transplants from ...coastal states. :p

Maybe California or Oregon ?
;)
This makes me laugh and makes my day. Let me put it this way...we are fleeing the People’s Republic of WA and not bringing one forking blue idea with us. A lot of the weight I’m carrying on this drive is 7000+ rounds of A and my firearm collection. That and “I Don’t Do Urban” should be clues I’ll help balance out the radicals that have moved to TX

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
This makes me laugh and makes my day. Let me put it this way...we are fleeing the People’s Republic of WA and not bringing one forking blue idea with us. A lot of the weight I’m carrying on this drive is 7000+ rounds of A and my firearm collection. That and “I Don’t Do Urban” should be clues I’ll help balance out the radicals that have moved to TX

Lucky you. My payload has to ship truck freight. :biggun:
Think multi axle, not Raptor truck freight.

Pikser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2017 empty in South Texas cold is at 37 front and 36 rear. Driving at 75 mph, 95 F they are 39 front and 39 rear?
While towing my waverunners and 4 people in the truck they are 40 to 42 psi

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score

yeah there aren't many radicals here, unless you are going to austin.

good job bringing a starter pack of ammo too

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2017 empty in South Texas cold is at 37 front and 36 rear. Driving at 75 mph, 95 F they are 39 front and 39 rear?
While towing my waverunners and 4 people in the truck they are 40 to 42 psi

that's what I do 37 front 36 rear when cold. rides nice