Anyone up for a challenge? - Electrical Issue that Ford can't seem to fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullzye

Reaction score
I have a 2010 Raptor. I have an annoying issue that 2 different Ford dealerships can't seem to fix because they don't have a flow chart in their manual that covers it and apparently troubleshooting is a lost art.

So, I'm reaching out to you smart guys in hopes that you may have an idea. Here goes:

For starters, this only happens when it rains (doesn't happen in mud or when off-roading through the occasional puddle). Within a few minutes of it starting to rain, the following occurs -
1. I get a "Hill Descent Control Fault"
2. The "Traction Control" symbol is displayed on the dash
3. If I'm using cruise control, it shuts off
4. I can clear the fault by running a system check but it comes back on immediately
5. Turning the truck off will sometimes clear the fault temporarily
6. Eventually, the fault clears on it's own and everything is fine until it rains again (It has taken a few days to clear on a couple occasions but typically it clears the next time I start the truck in a dry environment).

The really strange part is the cruise control when the fault is active.
- I can only reengage the cruise control if it's daylight, if it's dark enough for the dashboard to auto-dim it will not engage
- If I turn on my wipers, it turns off and will not reengage (does not happen using the momentary wiper/wash)
- If I turn my headlights on, it turns off and will not reengage
- If I use the automatic headlight setting, it works as long as the dash hasn't auto-dimmed

As I said, I've taken it to 2 different dealers and they have already replaced all the reasonable parts up to a $1600 control module. I'm out about $5000 so far and they can't find the problem and just want to keep replacing stuff with no clue if it will solve the problem. I'm waiting for them to tell me I have to just replace the whole truck. The 2017 isn't out yet so that's not an option. :)

Anyone out there have any ideas?

OP
OP
B

Bullzye

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for all the quick responses. I'm definitely going back to the dealerships with the SSM info and finding out why they didn't know this. Hopefully I can get them to at least not charge me anything more to replace the third brake light and see if that works.

D

Deleted member 12951

If not you can replace it yourself, its a 10 minute job if that and you can get one for a little over $100