Anyone try the AirLyft air bags?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MookeyB37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So ended up purchasing another RZR for the wife and swapped my smaller trailer out for a 22’er. With trailer attached and both machines on, my truck squats pretty bad. Safety chains hit the ground over even small bumps.

Was thinking about getting the AirLyft Air bags just to help with squat when towing. Anyone else ever try these?

WTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set sitting in my shop. I haven’t found the time to install yet. Everything I read seems like they work good.

Few threads in them here.

Hemmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So ended up purchasing another RZR for the wife and swapped my smaller trailer out for a 22’er. With trailer attached and both machines on, my truck squats pretty bad. Safety chains hit the ground over even small bumps.

Was thinking about getting the AirLyft Air bags just to help with squat when towing. Anyone else ever try these?

cscape

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes. I installed them on my Gen 3. East install and great for the smartcap and GFC tent I have on top.

OP
OP
MookeyB37

MookeyB37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. After talking to two different trailer/hitch dealers and reading the forums…. Decided the best option is a weight distribution hitch.

Mthon7

Reaction score
I am considering a Gen 3 but worried about towing roughly 7500# boat so considering the Air Lift. Spoke with local shop and they happen to have the rep from Air Lyft in shop later in the week. Anyway rep said bags inflated prior to load as they increase resistance of springs to decrease squat. They do not provide direct vertical lift.....curious those who have installed is this the case? Thanks so much

dfw62

Reaction score
I run 5 psi when unloaded and hook up my trailer (5100# camper with about 625# on the hitch) before adding air. I then tighten up my Andersen WD hitch (still no air added) and still have sag. With the trailer on and WD hitch tightened up the psi increases to 7. I then add air to 27 psi and the rear ends comes up. Truck sits perfect (slightly up in rear) and handles great.

I do have some long term concerns that the bags will wear out due to the friction between them and the coils as the suspension cycles but they were relatively cheap and provide huge benefits IMO.

Attachments

• Raptor with camper.jpg
    Raptor with camper.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 54

dfw62

Reaction score
Do you have an onboard compressor?
I do not. I have both bags routed to a shared fill valve located near my left rear tow hook. Made a simple little bracket that I could put under an existing bolt. I use a bicycle pump to fill the bags when I need them. The bags hold a relatively small volume of air such that it doesn't take many pumps to fill them. I don't find this burdensome as I take my mountain bike with me camping and always bring the pump too. I also like having the pump along should I need to add air to either the truck or trailer tires while traveling.

I had an onboard compressor on my previous truck (04 Diesel Excursion and a much heavier trailer) for it's air bags and while it was convenient it eventually became burdensome as being frame mounted it was exposed to the elements and eventually failed. With the bike pump being so easy and the high cost of Air Lift's onboard compressor it was an easy choice for me to not install one this time.

Attachments

• Air bag fill valve.jpg
    Air bag fill valve.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 63

Mthon7

Reaction score
That is great information and thanks for the pictures. Just so I understand you use a bike pump with the trailer attached and it will lift the truck? The Air lift rep told a different story although is second hand information. Thanks for all the information!