A better oil filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ricks_y

Reaction score
Not sure any oil filter will prevent the oil from turning black after a couple of thousand miles. With that said, the Ford Racing filter is the best option IMO and what I run. Not cheap though. It’s model number CM6731FL82
Hi,
i noticed there are 2 sizes. is the fl82 the bigger and the fl80 smaller? will the bigger fit.
thanks.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'd second the recommendation for an M1 filter as well. I do pretty short OCI's myself, usually when the Intelligent Oil Monitor gets below about 25%, but based on my last couple of UOA's showing plenty of life left in the oil (TBN > 3) I may let this one go down to 10-15% and see how it reads. Based on the low overall amounts of wear metals, lack of insolubles, etc I'm not sure the filter is going to make a whole lot of difference in anything.
Just curious, whats yr gen and milage and was there a lot of fuel in your oil?

Kru

Reaction score
AMSOIL makes a bypass filtration system that can filter down to 1 micron I believe. I have been running that system for a long time and it tends to keep the oil a bit “cleaner”. I have posted about this before.

zemuron99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, whats yr gen and milage and was there a lot of fuel in your oil?
2017, last Blackstone report was at 4025 miles on the oil, 27530 total miles, oil life monitor somewhere between 20-25%. I skipped the next change, and will send in an analysis of the current oil in it when I change it out next. I've usually let the oil life monitor get down to 20-25%, this time I may go down to 10-15% just to see how the report looks. On the last report, the TBN was still 3.9 (plenty of life left in the oil, their target is >1.0), and the fuel % was < 0.5% which has been consistent across all 5 anlyses I've had run.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2017, last Blackstone report was at 4025 miles on the oil, 27530 total miles, oil life monitor somewhere between 20-25%. I skipped the next change, and will send in an analysis of the current oil in it when I change it out next. I've usually let the oil life monitor get down to 20-25%, this time I may go down to 10-15% just to see how the report looks. On the last report, the TBN was still 3.9 (plenty of life left in the oil, their target is >1.0), and the fuel % was < 0.5% which has been consistent across all 5 anlyses I've had run.
I was expecting more fuel in the oil. I wonder if the rings on the 3.5 are high pressure. Im new to turbo engines…