$7 Hood vent lightning mod.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Assassin

Reaction score
I stumbled upon some cheap LED flex lights on Amazon and decided I needed a DIY project. So I bought them and two days later I installed them. I have to say, it looks SICK.

This isn't a step by step how to guide, there's other threads out there for that I believe so I'm just going to highlight on what I did.
First off I removed the vents and stuck the flex strips on the concaved part of the hood. Then I placed electrical tape to secure it and seal it up because I didn't trust just the 3M backing to last on its own.
ytanavag.jpg

Next step was wiring. I'm very meticulous when I do my wiring. I solder and heat shrink all my connections and route my wires it in a way where it's least obvious.

udary7am.jpg

emeqa6un.jpg

I drilled three holes in the plastic covering the firewall to route the wires out of because it seemed to be the better option.
ybe6ejas.jpg

Grounded to the frame right next to the hood hinge.
ja9u4aje.jpg

The last step was connecting to one of my auxiliary switches. I'm eventually getting a LED control module with remote that I will hook all my engine bay LEDs to, so for now I went the quick route and twist connected my wires to aux 4, then sealed it up with tape.

uqu8u2ys.jpg

That night I turned them on and stood there for a minute while drool was rolling down my mouth. I love it.
uqyzydez.jpg

ydehuduj.jpg

Here's the link to the lights I bought.
Amazon.com: Zone Tech 30cm LED Car Flexible Waterproof Light Strip Red (pack of 4): Automotive

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MajorAR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's pretty badass looking. Do you think they will they hold up...Off Roading?

SideTracked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's pretty badass looking. Do you think they will they hold up...Off Roading?

That does look pretty bad ass!

We've used the LED strips for rock lights for people who wanted something really cheap and were ok with it not being "as bright" as some of the other options. they hold up well, the only issue really has been the 3M backing tape not holding, so we usually use a little glue or silicone to help it out. Epoxy works well but sometimes it discolors the strip. doesn't really effect output though.

OP
OP
Assassin

Assassin

Reaction score

I believe they will. There shouldn't be no problem with the lights since they're waterproof, if anything the tape might eventually loosen but honestly I don't think it will.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did mine in 12/8/2014, a lot of rain and snow this year still holding, just made sure I wipped it down with alcohol before sticking them on.