6R80 sudden transmission downshift powertrain control module programming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m over 275k on my 2012, and from what I remember the programming was to make it default to 3rd instead of 1st which is much more manageable going down the interstate, ask me how I know, LOL! I still have not replaced my lead frame but I need to as it has errored out and kicked down to 3rd much more frequently this year. To fix it, I pull over put it in park and shut it off. Give it a few seconds and start it back up and go. Not ideal I know but I have been doing this for a few years now so I’m use to it. Currently I’m less than 10k away from getting the transmission serviced so I’m debating doing it then. I just don’t want to go through the hassle of it sitting at the service center while they do nothing to it for weeks. Apparently I like to live dangerously.

WNCHSTR96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I have decided to quit prolonging the inevitable and just replace the whole valve body, which comes with the new lead frame instead of just thre lead frame only. The earliest my normal Ford dealership can get me in is December 7th?!?! Went to a different Ford dealership (closer to home) and I drop it off this Monday. They are like 20 miles apart, but dang what a difference in transmission tech support. Hope it goes well. Oh there also was a RaptoR (how do you say it? Raptor arrrrr!) in the showroom that only had a $39k ADM if anyone was interested.

TAC71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my TCM update done this morning. Since I'm an hour away from the dealer I told them when booking I would have to wait for it. They had no problem with that and were very accommodating to get it in first thing when I showed up. Only took 1.5 hours and zero issues.
Thank you Skaha Ford

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had my TCM update done this morning. Since I'm an hour away from the dealer I told them when booking I would have to wait for it. They had no problem with that and were very accommodating to get it in first thing when I showed up. Only took 1.5 hours and zero issues.
Thank you Skaha Ford
damn. quickest i have seen. how much of that time was with your pants down, bent over a counter?