2019 vs 2023 comparison after 300 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IamNomad

Reaction score
For anyone wondering about the difference and whether it is worth the upgrade, I have owned my 2023 for only 5 days and 300 plus miles. I sold my 2019 two years ago so it's not a back to back comparison, but my memory of its driving experience is still pretty clear. I live and drive at 7500 feet in the mountains, so for what its worth..........

The mostly minor quibbles I had with my 2019 have been addressed. The biggest difference is the handling. It's much more precise with less body roll and unwanted motion or float. It tracks the radius of curves better. Just look out ahead and steer to where you want the truck to go. It's closer to the feeling of a sports car in this regard. Yes there still is some understeer but it's minimal considering the Raptor is a lifted truck with a very compliant suspension.

It rides better as the rear end does not dance around as much over bumps, particularly if you are in a corner. Less chassis shudder IMO too.

It seems quieter but it's also possible I haven't had a fair wind noise test yet as I have not taken a road trip at 75+ mph.

Although sound is subjective, I think Ford made a major improvement in the sound of the exhaust.

Of course their are the expected improvements in tech, screens and camera quality. The one knock to me is that the extra wide shift lever is in the way of activating the manual mode push button right below it.

My business was audio so most factory stereo systems do not impress me sonically. Past a point the number of speakers and watts are meaningless. Give me fewer but better speakers. It's how the system is tuned and balanced that matter most. Frankly the B&O system sucked in the 2019. They have removed some of the screech and boom which has warmed up the midrange a bit. It still tends to thump too much in the kick drum region and still has a transition problem between the bass and the lower midrange. Listen carefully to a bass guitar and you can hear that notes played up the fret board into the lower midrange are quieter that ones down lower. The biggest thing they could do to fix this is simply remove 6-8db of the bass thump which is centered around a fairly narrow range of frequencies. I haven't measured it but I'm guessing 80hz.

I think they have also improved the transmission shift mapping in sport mode. It seems much more intelligent and intuitive. I live in the mountains and it seems
to know what gear to be in whether I'm going down hill or up.

My Gen 2 2019 was a hard act to follow, but overall I love what they have done.

engineer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For anyone wondering about the difference and whether it is worth the upgrade, I have owned my 2023 for only 5 days and 300 plus miles. I sold my 2019 two years ago so it's not a back to back comparison, but my memory of its driving experience is still pretty clear. I live and drive at 7500 feet in the mountains, so for what its worth..........

The mostly minor quibbles I had with my 2019 have been addressed. The biggest difference is the handling. It's much more precise with less body roll and unwanted motion or float. It tracks the radius of curves better. Just look out ahead and steer to where you want the truck to go. It's closer to the feeling of a sports car in this regard. Yes there still is some understeer but it's minimal considering the Raptor is a lifted truck with a very compliant suspension.

It rides better as the rear end does not dance around as much over bumps, particularly if you are in a corner. Less chassis shudder IMO too.

It seems quieter but it's also possible I haven't had a fair wind noise test yet as I have not taken a road trip at 75+ mph.

Although sound is subjective, I think Ford made a major improvement in the sound of the exhaust.

Of course their are the expected improvements in tech, screens and camera quality. The one knock to me is that the extra wide shift lever is in the way of activating the manual mode push button right below it.

My business was audio so most factory stereo systems do not impress me sonically. Past a point the number of speakers and watts are meaningless. Give me fewer but better speakers. It's how the system is tuned and balanced that matter most. Frankly the B&O system sucked in the 2019. They have removed some of the screech and boom which has warmed up the midrange a bit. It still tends to thump too much in the kick drum region and still has a transition problem between the bass and the lower midrange. Listen carefully to a bass guitar and you can hear that notes played up the fret board into the lower midrange are quieter that ones down lower. The biggest thing they could do to fix this is simply remove 6-8db of the bass thump which is centered around a fairly narrow range of frequencies. I haven't measured it but I'm guessing 80hz.

I think they have also improved the transmission shift mapping in sport mode. It seems much more intelligent and intuitive. I live in the mountains and it seems
to know what gear to be in whether I'm going down hill or up.

My Gen 2 2019 was a hard act to follow, but overall I love what they have done.
Have you tuned the stereo at all with the bass/treble/etc. settings to something you think is ok? If so, can you share those settings?

OP
OP
I

IamNomad

Reaction score
Because regular tone controls effect several octaves of frequencies, they can't remove a narrow range peak without causing a dip on either side of the peak. So if you turn down the bass with the tone control the peak will be reduced but so will the deep bass output (already limited with the B&O system) as well as output on the higher bass notes causing further imbalance with the midrange.

Tone controls only work well if the frequency response is smooth and peak free from octave to octave to begin with.

A 10 band graphic equalizer or ideally a parametric equalizer can surgically solve the bass peak problem without doing harm elsewhere but I don't know of any OEM car stereos with them.

The best solution is for B&O to properly EQ the system to begin with. If people want heavy exaggerated bass thump, and many do,
all they need to do is provide a boost switch option in the menu.

OP
OP
I

IamNomad

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. My Gen 2 was just stolen and I am still trying to decide what to replace it with. Leaning towards a Gen 3 if I can get a good deal on one around me.
Although the horsepower and torque figures for the 3.5 Ecoboost have not changed I think I read somewhere that the engine was retuned for better low end torque. Too much time has elapsed in my comparison to be sure but the 2023 seems to get off the line a little quicker.

OP
OP
I

IamNomad

Reaction score
I'm up to 500 miles on my Raptor now so I still have been observing my version of engine break in. Vary the speed rather than a prolonged constant speed and no full throttle or high rpm runs.

So with an easy foot on the gas I'm averaging 18.3 mpg mostly mountain road driving under 55 mph using a mix of normal and sport modes.
I leave for a 1400 mile roundtrip road trip to Iowa late this week and will be interested to see if my 2023 can beat my 2019's mpg on the same route which is 90% interstate 76 & 80. Wind on I-80 can really be a factor in fuel economy so it's not always easy to get a fair comparison. Typically it got around 14mpg with the cruise control set around 82-83 mph although strong wind could knock it down to 12 mpg.

I will report my mileage when I get back in early July.

julien194b

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice objective feedback ! I agree about points you mention that could be better on gen2 . And true that shift map gen2 in sport mode could be smoother !

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've owned a 2018, 2019 raptor and now have a 2023. I agree with the OP

I'd also like to add that the fit and finish is 100% better than it use to be. The truck interior is nice, modern and strong. I still am not a fan of the plastic door cards as they scratch easy but everything else is top notch. Rides much better.