2018 Raptor Production Nightmare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@jake 17 has it right. The production line starts with assemblies and parts, and production continues until a truck on wheels rolls out at the end of the line. I don't believe that there is a means put a truck on wheels into the front of the line nor insert one somewhere in the middle of the line. And why would they? If your truck's transmission needs to be replaced, they wouldn't halt a running production line just insert one truck at that stage when the tranny work could be done on a rack off-line. If they have actually told you in so many words that your truck will go back on the line, then I'd be concerned about whether they've told you the truth about anything.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford doesnt not reinsert any vehicle back into the line except the EOL for retesting. If a vehicle fails the EOL (end of line) testing it goes into the plant parking lot and then the mechanics take care of what ever is needed to repair it. Once it is repaired it then goes into the EOL test again for a retest. Once it passes EOL it them goes to the transit area.

OP
OP
T

torrentuser

Reaction score
I agree Hockster. The way you describe it is exactly what I think is happening to my truck. It is outside waiting for someone to resolve the issue discovered at the EOL test.

troverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the OP - sorry to hear your story.

Last year I ordered a 2017 Super Duty in May (2016). The dealer screwed up my order, which I did not discovery until July. I ordered a blue Lariat Ultimate dually and they ordered a red Lariat dually. When I found out they immediately re-ordered the correct dually with me present. I told them I was on a tight schedule for needing the truck and I'd probably take the red dually. Well, like your Raptor...it was built, sent to the rail yard for transport, then recalled to the plant for repairs. In my case, it turned out to be paint work for some reason. The trucks are not put back on the assembly line, but sent to another building where re-work is specifically performed.

In the end, the blue dually ended up arriving before the red one, so I got the one I wanted. The red dually arrived about a month later. It still sits on the dealer lot, one year later...

MikeEby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@jake 17 has it right. The production line starts with assemblies and parts, and production continues until a truck on wheels rolls out at the end of the line. I don't believe that there is a means put a truck on wheels into the front of the line nor insert one somewhere in the middle of the line. And why would they? If your truck's transmission needs to be replaced, they wouldn't halt a running production line just insert one truck at that stage when the tranny work could be done on a rack off-line. If they have actually told you in so many words that your truck will go back on the line, then I'd be concerned about whether they've told you the truth about anything.

In another life I worked for Bosch Braking Systems. One of the jobs I did for them was to travel to Assembly plants to support the Evac and fill process of the brake system for production lines.

In one case I was at the Belvidere Assembly Plant in Illinois for the Dodge/Plymouth Neon. This was right at the start of production for that car and we had to do some fill trials of the brake systems.

While I was there they were gearing up to do rework on bunch pilot cars that had some suspension component installed incorrectly. They somehow injected the rework cars back on the line where they were dissembled and reassembled correctly. In this case the work was done on a Saturday as not to disrupt regular production. I doubt that's what Ford is doing in this case, but never the less it was an interesting approach.

It was great job for a car guy like me traveling to assembly plants. Probably the best part was going to the old Ford River Rouge Complex where Mustangs were built, a whole bunch of history there.

I remember a yellow Mustang Cobra sitting in a repair bay with a paper under the wiper that said...BAD MOTOR DONT START. Interestingly I returned to the plant about 2 weeks later and the car was still there. I've always wondered how that worked out for the guy that ended up with that car.

Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

torrentuser

Reaction score
I know about the recall, and the info we got was this:
recall covers 42 examples of the 2018 F-150 Raptor SuperCab, none of which have a moonroof. All the vehicles in question were built at the Dearborn Assembly Plant in Michigan between June 8 and August 21 of this year.

My Raptor was built on Sept 14th... so I don't think it applies.