2018 Raptor P0420 Code Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tpostell

Reaction score
Picked up a 2018 raptor with 92k miles recently, just ticked over 93k miles this weekend on a camping trip. Check engine light came on and got it checked and code shows p420.

I just changed the spark plugs before the trip since they were all original. Used 550 OEM plugs. Should I pull all the plugs on bank one and check them? Should I just replace an o2 sensor? Looking for alternatives rather than replacing the cat if necessary. Truck is all stock. Also has the ford premium care warranty till 100k miles if it might be covered.

IMG_0920.jpeg

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
O2 sensors are cheaper than cats if you’d rather throw parts at it than see the dealer. It should be the post-cat one on whichever side the code is telling you.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Needs a cat 99% sure. The sensor is doing its job and tell you the cat is no longer doing its job.

You can try a sensor as I have seen 1000's do over the years out of cheapness, desperation and not wanting to accept the facts. In the end everyone and I mean everyone has need a Cat, so the sensor just added $$ to the repair that was not needed.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also, find an exhaust shop that can weld in new cat(s) should be 1/2 to 1/3rd the cost. Make sure they get good ones that have extra "load" (precious metals) if you want to keep the light off.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Funny thing happened.

I unplugged my MPT tuner and my lil check engine light went away. Prior to that, it was the same code for an o2 sensor.