2014 Raptor Cant Pass Smog - O2/Heater/Catalyst won't activate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
prowakeskater

prowakeskater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like you'll have to go through the process MTF explained.

Seems that ford cannot detect when the truck has been tuned and cannot flash it back to stock easily

I was tuned with an SCT iTSX

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The most it should take three days with minimum of 25 miles each drive cycle per day.
This is when the weather has big swings from one day to the next.
Sometimes I had the readiness clear in one drive cycle without waiting the 6-8 hr. vehicle clock shut down period.
While you need to do some street and highway driving combos, the key is the decels from 60 mph. to 15 mph. I do it 0 mph if I can!!!
(make sure not to step on the accelerator) you need to do that three times.

So if you drove 3000 miles and nothing is happening you going to have to do homework.
Like call SCT and ask about finding out if a Tune is on your PCM with out having the programmer.
They might have a way for you to see with just a OBDII reader, who knows.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

TK421

Reaction score
Went back to ford, told them how others had the same issue passing smog with the same monitors never clearing because of a tune and that’s the only thing I could find why it won’t clear. (Feels like it’s tuned as it shifts different then other stock raptors, and similar to when I tuned my Chevy and changed shift points) They said I was a liar that it never failed smog because they didn’t smog it, they said their tech said they forgot to smog it.

Little did they know I own a smog shop/star certified, and am Ca licensed for test and repair. I have access to smog history showing it failed while in their possession with dates and reasons why it failed. I also do all the smogs for a big chunk of dealerships up the street from my shop and they pay me to do drive cycles if they need. I’ve driven the exact ford drive cycles many times for a month that they have listed. I printed the pic of the failure with dates when it was in their possession. I’m betting their smog tech didn’t know what was wrong with it and they couldn’t get the monitors to run just didn’t tell them and they still put it on the lot for sale. All the dealerships I deal with they make sure it passes smog first right off the bat. And if it won’t pass they repair it, or send it to auction to get rid of it.

I don’t know how it was “ford certified” if it won’t even pass smog. Guess certified vehicles are just making sure the wheels aren’t falling off.

Last edited:

TK421

Reaction score
Another update.

Ken Grody in Buena Park who sold me the truck, they cannot figure it out, and claims they do not know how to re-flash a computer to stock/reprogram a computer or check if it’s tuned....They called and said they will have to go to another shop (some performance shop he said) and see if they can figure out why it won’t run the monitors...

It shifts way smoother, and feels like it has less power now that it’s 100% stock.

I called my buddy up at the Lincoln dealership a block away from me. He took it, plugged the factory ford scanner up, he saw right away it had a tube and that this truck has/needs updates to the PCM after he flashed it to stock. He said there are 3 updates that were never done. Took him all of 20 mins to figure it out, and perform the updates and I’ve driven roughly 10 miles of in town, and freeway and every single monitor has ran.

So basically a warning to anyone in SoCal to never go to Ken Grody Ford in Buena Park as they are completely useless in the service department and you’re probably better off going to a Lincoln dealership LOL

Last edited:

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Its so sad that the consumer (FRF members) can diagnose and correct a Ford problem before a Ford authorized dealer.
What are the dealers and tech's taught these days?