2012 SCREW start issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MC15

Reaction score
I have a 2012 SCREW w/ 160k miles. Recently I’ve been having an issue starting the truck. It doesn’t happen all the time, but only just once is the worst. Occasionally, when I start the truck w the key it will light up, but will not turn over. If I try and start it w the remote, it will just give me a fail “honk”. The dealer is useless as they can’t seem to get it to fail (not start)(they also broke a tail light and fender flare when one of their dip&$@“ employees backed into my truck).
There doesn’t seem to be a rhyme or reason. The truck will always start when cold. I’ve replaced ignition and about to throw a new starter into it as well.
Let me know if anyone out there has had the same experience.
Thank you

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So are you saying that when it is warm only, that once in awhile it not turn over? I would check your battery connections and after you clean those, leave the negative cable off and check your starter connections for corrosion. Then if all that pass's, maybe the starter is going, but they are usually good for 1/4 million miles minimum.

OP
OP
MC15

MC15

Reaction score
Thank you! It does only seem to happen when it’s warm. I’ll give both of those a shot. My new starter arrived last week so I’ll just replace the old one to check it off the list of possibilities. The battery is a yellow top Optima, (I put these in all my vehicles) for what it’s worth. I will check the connections.
Thank you again!

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that’s the fuse 27 issue?
Yes, that’s been fixed.
can you verify the fuse 27 has been done? one dealer i went to marked the fuse 70 as the relocation and new fuse. also put the sticker on the fuse box, but it was never done. like they forgot...... so i did my own relocation. (that was fun figuring out on the in the middle of merging highways)

besides that point, fuse 27 will also make you shut down while driving. given that you havent had that happen to you, and only a non start issue, i would guess it would have to be something else. starter connection would be first on my list

OP
OP
MC15

MC15

Reaction score
Thoughtful response. Thank you.
It seems that this has to come somewhere between the battery, +/- connections, and starter.

NateMob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd swap the purge valve as the likely cause.

Black_Valkyrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd swap the purge valve as the likely cause.

This

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’ve done mine, but this isn’t what you are describing. When the canister purge valve fails or is failing, the engine turns over just fine, it just won’t fire because it is being flooded with fuel vapours. This usually happens after you fill it up with gas, the vapours enter the engine through the CPV when it fails to close. Just saying’.