1st or 2nd generation Raptor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

Jenny wars again, oh brother. GEN2 is better in every way, blah blah blah.

I have a GEN1 and GEN2. And I will never say a negative thing to any GEN1 owner, its a great truck and I have smiled in it every time I take it off-road.

But to hear the constant GEN2 crap is annoying at best. That is what ruined FRF and still does today. This is like grown men acting like they are in high school. Not sure what anyone has to prove about a truck, get over it.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
But to hear the constant GEN2 crap is annoying at best. That is what ruined FRF and still does today. This is like grown men acting like they are in high school. Not sure what anyone has to prove about a truck, get over it.
Most of that was because the Gen1 owners came into the Gen2 section and started the crap. Obviously the Gen2 owners are going to respond. I've heard the excuse a thousand times. " I was just replying to the new posts,. Well duh, the Gen1 section is nearly dead so what section did you think you were posting in? How many Gen2 guys start crap in the Gen1 section?Very few if any.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most of that was because the Gen1 owners came into the Gen2 section and started the crap. Obviously the Gen2 owners are going to respond. I've heard the excuse a thousand times. " I was just replying to the new posts,. Well duh, the Gen1 section is nearly dead so what section did you think you were posting in? How many Gen2 guys start crap in the Gen1 section?Very few if any.

seems about right- but this started as a “what should I get gen 1 or 2” thread & in 2020 world w/ a gen THREE raptor couple years away & general F150 redesign around the corner- the gen 1s are simply getting that much more dated. If you’re purchasing a Raptor as a “do everything” DD vehicle & not a weekend/hobby/offroad only “toy” then if we’re being honest what are we even talking about then? It’s not a comparison- the Gen 2 is far & away superior & much more practical in the real world as a DD stock for stock (it’s also far & away more capable offroad stock for stock but That Convo always tends to veer to towards modding)

I know ALL about making big power in an older V8- but the 6.2 from the gen 1 ain’t nothing particularly special (well maybe for Ford it was) and fo sho that 5.4 **** ain’t worth writing about either (oh you gen 1 guys like to forget about that slouch eh?) so it’s just comes down to “I like the V8 sound” I guess?

nobody- other than Ford/Gen1 raptor fans boys- gives a flying F about the V8 from that truck unless it’s in the truck- meaning the Raptor made the 6.2 noteworthy not the other way around. The “raptor sauce” was increased heavily for the gen2 & they topped it off w/ newer power plant that Ford is MUCH more comfortable w/ based on recent history. Helluva lot more FI EB platforms or EB hybrid being brought out than V8 anything from Ford. I’m sure their “gasser HD” engine is decent, it just ain’t gonna be better than what GM or Ram offer OR what Toyota will come out w/ next most likely.

For the price they still want for a used gen 1 or gen 2 like I said if V8 is really what you want screw a gen 1 find a donor gen 2 & drop a proper LSx motor in there. Then when you wanna go the FI route there will actually be a lot of parts/tuning support & it won’t blow up on ya

******** - these threads are so beat to death

So I guess bottom line- need to stop having these convos if it’s a discussion of gen 1 vs gen 2 for a DD it’s not a debate worth having.

wanna get into bench racing “well if I add this or that” mod wars then gen 1 or gen 2 of my old ‘89 rusted out ranger beater from back in the day- w/ enough time, $$$, & know how you can make a Prius beat a raptor in a race offroad or at the strip if you wanted lol that’s a whole different discussion for another day.

but don’t be telling a prospective owner as a sole vehicle that it would make any damn sense to choose a gen 1 over a gen 2.

Jakenbake

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Here are a few questions and a comment:

When the 2nd generation came out what percentage of gen 1 owners traded to a gen 2?

When the 3rd generation raptor comes out, what percentage of gen 2 owners will go gen 3?

Just making an observation/reading between some lines but I would think gen 2 owners would likely part ways with a gen 2 for a gen 3 at a greater percentage then gen 1 for 2.

911 Crazy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are a few questions and a comment:

When the 2nd generation came out what percentage of gen 1 owners traded to a gen 2?

When the 3rd generation raptor comes out, what percentage of gen 2 owners will go gen 3?

Just making an observation/reading between some lines but I would think gen 2 owners would likely part ways with a gen 2 for a gen 3 at a greater percentage then gen 1 for 2.

41.7% & 38.3% if no V8 and 69.5% if V8 option.