Tires rubbing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AbsDxb

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Abs, a 2013 Raptor owner in Dubai. I've noticed that I've got some serious rubbing of my shocks on the rear left hand side. Nothing on the right. I'm using stock 315 width tires and no mods.

Can anyone suggest what's causing it? Or had similar issues?

OP
OP
A

AbsDxb

Reaction score
Yes, tire is rubbing on the shock. Trying to upload a pic but it keeps timing out.

Msb.19d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something must be wore out and letting top of tire, wheel, tilt inward towards shock. I don’t know the mechanical names of it all but I’m thinking it’s same part that fails on the cars we see broke down on side road with wheel completely folded in or out laying flat. You best be careful, don’t drive until get it fixed. Very dangerous. Some more mechanically smarter guys will be on soon to help you. It’s early morning here in USA now

waddellw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's really odd! Lot of space between the shock and the tire usually.

Are the wheels aftermarket? Maybe the offset is different enough to cause some rubbing...

Other than that i would just check that the lug nuts are tight and that the tire and shock are both in the proper alignment.

Pics will help, hopefully it will let you upload them!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Edit:

After seeing the images below I definitely agree with @Msb.19d

Must be some loose or worn parts along the rear axle.

Last edited:

Msb.19d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it’s what I’m thinking it can cause a really bad accident. Imagine going around curve fast and wheel/ tire folding completely sideways

---------- Post added at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

You need to jack truck up and see if you can move tire with your hands, like one hand up top one bottom and try twist it towards shock

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

Could just be doing it going around sharp turns

---------- Post added at 09:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 AM ----------

Man you live in a really kool country, love Dubai, never been there, just saw pics and shows about it

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

I lived in Qatar for awhile and loved that place

OP
OP
A

AbsDxb

Reaction score
pics attached.

guys, appreciate the immediate response. The wheels are on tight, I've checked that.

When I bought the truck I did notice some marks on the shock, but as the truck had just been serviced at the Ford dealer I didn't worry too much, though it might have been a one off thing.

The wearing of the exterior of the shock seems a lot worse now, I only noticed it this weekend as I had a pop out when accidently jumping/falling off an 8 foot dune. Luckily it was really soft sand, but still got the pop out.

I've been advised here by fellow truck owners it could be worn bushes or the wheels need to be aligned again. Which I will do this week.

Attached the pics now for you guys to see.

Attachments

• 20180203_163357.jpg
    20180203_163357.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 20180203_163354.jpg
    20180203_163354.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 76

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are running OEM wheels and tires, my first guess id that someone swapped in a standard F-150 rear end in your truck which is a little narrower.

R,
HAP

D

Deleted member 12951

Post pics of the rear axle and better pic of the placement of the leaf springs.