Bump stop travel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yo y'all,
Im looking at a used bump stop kit here for sale without bump stops. I have an old pair of King 2.5" bump stops with 2" travel laying around from a previous truggy project. Seems like 2" of travel is not enough to make much difference. I saw a YouTube video on modifying the travel by cutting the internal spacer and it looks pretty easy. I see the aftermarket kits show 2.5 or 4" travel. 4 may not be advisable with a 2.0 bump stop, but 2.5_3.5 looks feasible. Suggestions?

ntm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a typical setup, you'll be fine with 2" at 200 psi.
Most guys with 2.5's run theirs at 120 psi.
If you feel better modifying them, it's pretty simple, just disassemble and cut as much off of the spacer as you'd like to gain in travel.

OP
OP
Otis857

Otis857

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After some research, i found out my king bump stops were too long for the rpg kit i was looking at. They were 13 inches long with only 2' of travel, where the kit needed 11" total length. So, its on to plan B. get a kit with the bump stops included. Oh well, back on the shelf for the old bump stops.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Since the thread is about bump stop travel, I have a question:

I seem to constantly be hitting my bumpstops. I thought it was due to the stock springs and ordered Deaver +3's. Seemed to raise the truck sufficiently, as I have Icon 3.0's all around. The fronts are set at top perch (maybe just a hair higher). Regardless, even on small elevation changes, like entering my driveway that is slightly more elevated than the street, I can feel the rear hit the bumps. Is this normal?

I have the Ready Lift Bump Stop kit with 2.5" bumps that I bought last year at TRR.

Any input and advice is appreciated. Just want to make sure that everything is operating as it should be.

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Since the thread is about bump stop travel, I have a question:

I seem to constantly be hitting my bumpstops. I thought it was due to the stock springs and ordered Deaver +3's. Seemed to raise the truck sufficiently, as I have Icon 3.0's all around. The fronts are set at top perch (maybe just a hair higher). Regardless, even on small elevation changes, like entering my driveway that is slightly more elevated than the street, I can feel the rear hit the bumps. Is this normal?

I have the Ready Lift Bump Stop kit with 2.5" bumps that I bought last year at TRR.

Any input and advice is appreciated. Just want to make sure that everything is operating as it should be.

i can't recall ever really hitting my bumps on every day driving. i have icon 3.0s all around with WSI HD springs and had the Icon bump kit. my front end was set to the ride height icon ships their shocks at. i can't imagine constantly hitting your bumps to be normal, but i could be wrong.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i can't recall ever really hitting my bumps on every day driving. i have icon 3.0s all around with WSI HD springs and had the Icon bump kit. my front end was set to the ride height icon ships their shocks at. i can't imagine constantly hitting your bumps to be normal, but i could be wrong.

That's what I'm trying to find out. Would the 2.5" bumps just be too long? I know nothing about it other than it makes me think that there is something not quite right about the whole thing......

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's what I'm trying to find out. Would the 2.5" bumps just be too long? I know nothing about it other than it makes me think that there is something not quite right about the whole thing......

got a picture of the setup? the strike pad sit low and flush?

SlimChaChi

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No daytime pics. i will get some up tomorrow. But yeah, the strike pad sits on the axle like all the others do. Nothing remarkable there....

i wish i had a measurement of my icons to compare, i'm sure someone around here would have it, even for another setup might give you an idea of it's a length issue.