Wire routing for KC 74281 light bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtyDeedsInc

Reaction score
Been trying to decide on how to route the wires for lights using the KCHilites 74281 light bar. I had at first thought about drilling holes in the plastic piece right above the bumper but can't see if that will give me enough room to get the wires in before I drill. I want to keep the the route as short and clean as possible using split loom, so tyraps holding it to the bar are out.

Y'all have any ideas or close up pics of how you ran the wires? I've also thought about going through the bumper grill but I might add lights there later.

Any help would be appreciated.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
visuals would help a ton,.......if i can see what we are talking about i might have an idea

but i know a few guys here have done that.

2manytrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
74281_bar.jpg

Wiring is a pet peeve of mine...I cannot stand sloppy wiring. This bar design doesn't leave a lot of room for creative wiring because of the flat plates on the sides. One of the possibilites that I see is adding some custom bent hard fuel lines to the outside of the flat plates to use as a channel and then weld them to the bar and then repaint/powdercoat. You would have to drill the bar and then run your wires inside of it and then now through welded on fuel lines. Then run the wires in by the tow hooks. You are probably looking at less than $50.00 to do this at a fab shop.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DirtyDeedsInc

Reaction score
Sloppy wiring bugs me too, that's why I'm looking for suggestions to see if there's something I hadn't thought of. I usually tell my guys working for me that I don't care if they have to rig something, just make sure it's either hidden or at least looks like it's supposed to be that way.

If the sides of that bar were tube instead of flat, I would run the wire inside. Bent tubing on the outside sounds pretty decent so I may look into that. Just have to remember where I put my tubing bender. I've seen a few pictures that I could make out that they ran the wires through the bumper grill, but it looked like either the wires were just routed through there with nothing over them or were wrapped in crappy spiral wrap.

I'd love to take a picture of where I'm thinking of running the wires but I won't be anywhere close to my truck till Nov., so I'll try to be more descriptive. There's a trim piece that goes from under the headlights all the way across the front just above the bumper. There's a gap between that piece and the front bumper but there is also a plastic piece behind that filling that gap. (Probably just made that worse with my description.) That plastic piece was what I originally thought about drilling.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
does that bar mount above the bumper? when i get jobs like that, i normally drill a hole in the bar, right behind where the light is. then i drill another hole in the bar where it is not visible and run my wires through there into the engine bay where you can do what you want with them

Last edited:

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
the place that wired mine did a great job. gimme some time to wake up and get moving and ill get close up pics. but heres how mine looks with the KC Rally 800 series lights.

2nuq49h.jpg
2wpm36c.jpg

JuggNuttz

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ok grabbed a few pics, and yeah they went thru the lower grill behind the license plate. maybe not what your wanting, but if your required to have a front plate, i think it pretty much kills having a bar in the lower grill anyway.... just thinking to myself on that one. heres the pics

top view beind lights
rj3x38.jpg

side of license plate
sg5mh4.jpg

behind the grill
29os55h.jpg

going thru shroud to left of radiator
2hhk2vl.jpg

avnmaintman

Reaction score
I have a question for you.. I know this sounds stupid, but I am trying to picture how the light bar is mounted and if the tow hooks are attached to lower side of it. Sorry I am in Iraq trying to figure all this out. I have ordered the light bar and I want to get the hidden winch mount. So I am trying to see if it will al work together before I buy the winch mount..

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:33 PM ----------

Oh, Thanks for the pics. This is definately good for me to get a nice visual of what I am looking to do. Your routing looke very clean and professional.