Upfitter / High Beam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aidan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So from what I've read and can see from flipping the switches, the upfitter switches only rely on a switched source for their relay. Has anyone made one work off the high beam rather than just a switched 12v?

If there's no easy way, I think I'm just going to use the upfitter output as the 12v power to a relay and tap off the high beam to switch the relay... Anyone know where the best place/ wire would be to tap off the high beam?

OP
OP
Aidan

Aidan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's how I want to control the new Dually's on the A-pillar. That way, when I'm using them on the road, I only need to turn off the high beams to have them shut off as well.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont have any info on the high beam wire, but most likely it will be in the harness that comes from the steering wheel. judging but how all the other light wires are, i am thinking it will be a negative trigger. if you have a vom, you can test for it. but that would be the first place i would look. you can also get it at the headlight assembly. son e your lights will be outside the vehice anyways, you could put your relay and all your wiring in the hood. at the headlight might be a positive trigger, but havent tested for it. a lot less wires at the headlght as well.

OP
OP
Aidan

Aidan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the simplest way to do it is to use the upfitter switch as the power source for since it's already fused and relayed. Then I'll use that to power the wiring harness that came with the Rigid Dually's. Then instead of using a switch with the lights, I'll tap that off the high beam wire at the lights. Then it will work how I want it, the upfitter switch and high beams will have to be on to get them to light. Perfect... just a bit of unnecessary wiring and an extra relay and fuse.

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good idea and have been thinking about doing this. I spend a lot of time on country highways and I really have to be fast to kill the light bar for on coming traffic. High beam switch is more convenient since hands stay on or near the wheel. I like the up lifter switches but they are just not exactly where I would have put them. One very cool thing about this is that you have the up lifetime switch one during th day and if someone tries to pull out you pull high beam and light them up. It really gets their attention.

OP
OP
Aidan

Aidan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wired it up the way I said and it turned out alright. Like I said, not really the most efficient way to wire it but it works the way I want it to.

In case anyone else ever gets interested to do it this way: the Rigid Industries wiring harness is not the best documented... if you're going to cut out the switch they supply, the blue wire is the one that controls the relay, the black and red ones are just for the light on the switch, you can cut them off if you don't want to use that switch.

Also, if you are interested in tapping off the headlights for anything: looking at the female connector to the wiring harness, the ground is in the middle and the low beam is on the right with the high beam on the left.

Stang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm resurrecting this thread hoping you guys can school me. I currently have Rigid Duallys wired to upfitter 3 (white spot) and upfitter 4 (amber flood). I basically use the spots as high beams as the stock 2011 halogens are like candles. Given my setup what do I need to do to wire my spots on upfitter 3 to the high beam switch? I do have the relays available that come with the Rigids.