Rigid 20" Lightbar & Duallys - Installation Instructions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've been talking to Taylor about this.

There's speculation that it's the interface between the Dually brackets and the large plate (powdercoat on powdercoat).

I'm concerned with the four short sheet metal screws holding the two Dually mounting plates on. I know they would've used bolts, washers and nuts if it wasn't being mounted to the Raptor's tube. I'm thinking of getting longer sheet metal screws and using lock washers. But I'm concerned about using sheet metal screws going into steel. I've already removed and reinstalled the screws a couple of times and they just never seem to "bite" the way I'd like. Plus the screws are installed upside down. I think they're going to shake out but I'm not sure. I did put in a 5th hole through which I used a bolt, washers and a nut so the plate shouldn't come off even if the sheet metal screws come out. I wish we could've done them all that way.

I wonder about tack welding the plates on?

Next guy that doesn't feel comfortable doing this installation should talk to us. I think it'd be fun helping guys do this installation. Kind of like the "purse party" that Tim's talked about. It'll help guys save a bunch of cash and give 'em confidence about working on their trucks. (I've done this before, a lot, in the past - on Porsches - oil changes, brake bleeds, modifications including some serious stuff like removing the steering wheel, etc.). It's fun for everyone :)

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
<SNIP> Kind of like the "purse party" that Tim's talked about. It'll help guys save a bunch of cash and give 'em confidence about working on their trucks. (I've done this before, a lot, in the past - on Porsches - oil changes, brake bleeds, modifications including some serious stuff like removing the steering wheel, etc.). It's fun for everyone :)

I haven't installed mine yet but the bracket system with these screws seems less than optimal and that is the main reason these haven't been installed on my truck as of this moment.

For the record, it was not I that spoke about a "purse party". These words would never escape my lips nevermind the burning agony in my fingers after typing that.

There is a certain avian ambassador on this board who would be the appropriate party to thank for his apparent opinion on my "Raptor Tech Day" invitation.

:) :) :) :)

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We've done a lot of hard off-road miles with the lights in the last few days... and the dually's were definitely loose on lvdezertdawg's Raptor last night... the lights were pointing every which way. Hence my guess that they weren't tightened properly by the installer.

P.S. I know Ric was very capable and willing to install the lights himself... but he has a shop he's been working with for years that gave him a great price on the install while they were putting on some other goodies he bought from them... We were out testing the lights that night. (we would have been installing the lights that night and not having the fun of being out driving!!!).

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think I am going to skip drilling into the truck using these Rigid mounting plates and smallish screws and take a look about mounting these lights on my Ford light bar UNDER the 4 8 inch KC HID's.

If so I will be sending the mounting kit back for a refund unless a better way is found using the kit Rigid supplied.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah you wouldn't want to drill a few holes into a cross member under that Garage Queen! :mrgreen: C'mon Mr. Purse Party, use all those tools in your garage and install the plates and lights.

These plates are really well designed and well made. If you upgrade the 8 screws used to mount them they'll work great. Otherwise you could just sell your mounting plates to someone who wants to mount different lights on their Raptor.

You got such a good price on the kit I think you should just sell the plates to someone else. Hell, I'll take them off your hands :)

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We've done a lot of hard off-road miles with the lights in the last few days... and the dually's were definitely loose on lvdezertdawg's Raptor last night... the lights were pointing every which way. Hence my guess that they weren't tightened properly by the installer.

P.S. I know Ric was very capable and willing to install the lights himself... but he has a shop he's been working with for years that gave him a great price on the install while they were putting on some other goodies he bought from them... We were out testing the lights that night. (we would have been installing the lights that night and not having the fun of being out driving!!!).

What did Ric have put on his Raptor?

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah you wouldn't want to drill a few holes into a cross member under that Garage Queen! :mrgreen: C'mon Mr. Purse Party, use all those tools in your garage and install the plates and lights.

These plates are really well designed and well made. If you upgrade the 8 screws used to mount them they'll work great. Otherwise you could just sell your mounting plates to someone who wants to mount different lights on their Raptor.

You got such a good price on the kit I think you should just sell the plates to someone else. Hell, I'll take them off your hands :)

The garage queen you reference ran the off road track for the svt event in Vegas.....twice.

I did not see your "black beauty" aka Magnatron on that track. :)

Back on topic. I already have a super solid ford light bar that didn't require any drilling. Why wouldn't I explore all my options prior to drilling holes? (which can't be undone)

LVdezertdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had reported squeaks and rattles from both sides of my dually light setup. MarkT and I have determined that the drivers side rattle was caused by the installers. As shown in pic 1 you can see where the metal is ground down on the dually bracket above the lights. Pic 2 shows where the wear was occuring as I am pointing to the area of the rub. This part was installed too close to the bumper as the two pieces of metal, dually bracket and bumper were rubbing to cause the sound. An easy fix as we just repositioned and re drilled the holes and reinstalled the sheet metal screws and it is no longer in contact with the bumper. While we were in there we installed a bolt with lock washers on the bracket just to make sure, MMD had mentioned this. I believe this issue to be resolved but I will take back out on the trails tonight or tomorrow to check. I did not have any issue with the lights being loose on this side. They held in place where the installers had aimed them.
The passengers side did not have the same rubbing issue as the bracket was installed back from the bumper and is not rubbing like the drivers side. I was still getting a rattle from the area when MarkT saw the the nuts on the dually light intself was not snug against the bracket as shown in pic3. I believe this to be possibly iinstaller not tightening enough or it just rattled out as we have been out three of the past five nights with our lights. Anyhow, we were able to tighten both lights down and will give them a trial run soon.
To Taylor (Ridgid), thanks for your invite to call. I wanted to investigate before I called as I suspected these were installer issues. The lights work like a champ and I am certain that I am visible from satelitte level from space.LOL:mrgreen::mrgreen: