no drill roof mounts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scrap man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rivets on the plane and the pos ones you get in the add kit I hope are two different things I hope the ones they give you are little alum junk

srs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone ever built a plane the way I mounted lights on my truck I would not want to be the one on that plane...

Ironhorse07

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Having been a helicopter mechanic for over 15 years I can tell you that they vibrate, a lot, and have thousands of rivets. Yes, they are very different from the hardware store type, are put in with tighter tollarences and require special expensive guns to install. However, it is not hard and does not take long. If someone wanted to go the rivet route what I would suggest is go to your local airport and talk to the mechanics at an FBO (fixed base operation) and explain what you are trying to do. They will have the guns and rivets and the technical experience. And I would bet they would jump on the chance to drive rivets into a Raptor. Probably cost beer at the most.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I went to Embry Riddle so knew alot of AMT's. I am sure one could do it no problem.

But the Aviation world is not the only place. Lots of industries are using Rivets. I know plenty of guys that have race cars that have parts riveted. Like stated rivets do not suffer the issues caused by vibration.

Yes a cheap 15 cent auto parts store rivet is not the same as a stainless steel unit that costs $1. And a $8 pop rivet gun is not the same as a $300 gun.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With magnets you would want one outside and one inside to increase the hold. You would also need it to be rubber coated for vibration and any movement of the magnet would scratch with out it.

I would not trust a magnet as the flex and loads you would place on the mount points could cause it to pop off and that would be bad

LITTLEELVISDAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My problem with doing ANY drilling is due to the high salt content in the Bahamas. You drill here and you have rust and wobbly/stripped fasteners and what ever part of the truck you drilled.

So not drilling is a corrosion issue. Before anyone says it. There isn't a sealant on the planet to stop rust in extremely high salt environments. The sea will consume just about everything. Add two different metals together and mix in a bit of salt spray/water and within 3 months you have rust. I guess I could put sacrificial zinc plates on the car.

Last edited: