Hood mount replacement lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Labraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I really want to replace my hood mounts because they are not bright enough to be useful. Currently I have Vision X HID 4502 mounted on Outlaw mounts. I got them as a special with the mounts. They are the one mod I have been disappointed with. Even though the lights I have are spots my stock HID headlights reach out further. What I would like is good distance and more overall light output.

So far I have looked at the Wheelen(3800 lumens), KC Pods 70W(7000 lumens and a price to match, ouch), and now the Vison X light cannon(not many more lumens, but 1000ft range.)

Any others that I am missing? Anyone have a suggestion? I want to mount a light bar on a bed rack down the road but, probably not going to happen right now. Also, I love the look of the hood mounts and want to keep something there. I just don't want to waste an aux switch on these lights anymore. Thanks for the input.

Evilmonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to pull the plug on the Lightforce Striker 170 50w HID's. $614.00 on Amazon and $618 from my local 4Wheel Parts store. They will fit on the Outlaw mounts. BigJ has the 35w version on his Raptor and still loves them. The 50w model is the newer of the two. They have a knob on the back that let's you adjust them from a spot to a flood and back again. You can search for his post on these. I just wish there was a forum vendor that had these.

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Dammit. I thought the 4502's were going to be an awesome long range light. You're making me regret ordering them.

Lug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also purchased the VisionX 4502 with the outlaw claws thinking they would have a really long range. They seem OK , but way better than my stock headlights.(Side note. i haven't used the brights) Now i am getting worried

I was also expecting much more ...........

Last edited:

Evilmonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dammit. I thought the 4502's were going to be an awesome long range light. You're making me regret ordering them.

I've looked at the 4502's also. My personal preference is to have a thinner profile light with an external ballast. Once I get them wired up and get back from my dune trip I'll post some pics and vids.

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well shit. I just got my 4500's a few days ago. Tried to order my Outlaw mounts today, but their website was screwed up & I couldn't check out.

You all are really making me rethink whether I want to keep these lights or just try to sell them and use something else. The high-beams on my 2013's HIDs are insane - from what you're saying, these really won't help me at all.

Dammit.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the whelens and they reach out a long long ways. Way past my stock bulbs (non-hid) as spots. I have Whelen floods in my bumper too.

Evilmonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well shit. I just got my 4500's a few days ago. Tried to order my Outlaw mounts today, but their website was screwed up & I couldn't check out.

You all are really making me rethink whether I want to keep these lights or just try to sell them and use something else. The high-beams on my 2013's HIDs are insane - from what you're saying, these really won't help me at all.

Dammit.

Call Outlaw to order the mounts. I ran into the same problem while trying to order mine. I would say give those lights a shot. You might be surprised and really like them. I'm kind of old school and like the larger looking lights. I have some 4" round Extreme Offroad lights on right now that I got a great buy on. After testing them at night, I realized I needed a more powerful light while night driving at the dunes.

blockdoc

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ill give Outlaw a call if the website is still messed up tomorrow (was in a rush when I tried today).

My concern with the 4500's is the OP said his stock HIDs reach farther. Kinda defeats the purpose then, when Id have the exact same setup (4500 in spot pattern with stock HIDs).

Had planned the 4500s on the hood with Whelen LEDs next to a winch in a venom bumper.

This thread makes me nervous about it now.

Allied Offroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WSI also sells hood mounts, ($70). The Whelen Micro Pioneers are honestly THE brightest LEDS out there, 3800 lumens and they come with 1 spot, and 3 flood lenses, Whelen can legitimaley say "Manufactured in the USA".

We can ship tomorrow, lights and brackets and shipping ($598). You will not be disappointed.

Attachments

• IMG_0317.jpg
    IMG_0317.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 131