Rear brake pad wear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The truck is 10 months old, 16k miles and my rear inner brake pads are gone, the outer had about 3/16". About 40% of the miles are on dirt roads. Yes, I drive it quite aggressive :naughty:. Could the traction control be accelerating brake wear? Could rocks, gravel and mud be getting in the rotor area and acting abrasively? The inner rotor surface was grooved up a little. The rear wheels load up very quickly with mud and rocks to the point of rubbing on the calipers and gouging the wheels. I know it all boils down to my driving, but the wife is unhappy and I am looking for as many lame ass excuses to justify my fun behind the wheel :baby:.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truck is 10 months old, 16k miles and my rear inner brake pads are gone, the outer had about 3/16". About 40% of the miles are on dirt roads. Yes, I drive it quite aggressive :naughty:. Could the traction control be accelerating brake wear? Could rocks, gravel and mud be getting in the rotor area and acting abrasively? The inner rotor surface was grooved up a little. The rear wheels load up very quickly with mud and rocks to the point of rubbing on the calipers and gouging the wheels. I know it all boils down to my driving, but the wife is unhappy and I am looking for as many lame ass excuses to justify my fun behind the wheel :baby:.

The system should be about a 70 front /30 rear % split... If you are getting lots of mud and stuff it will accelerate the wear but you should feel the drag with that much wear... Seems like there is a problem...

SPRSNK

I Void Warranties
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Traction control will wear down your pads faster. I haven't gotten that far into the development of my truck yet, but I will find a way to disable the ABS and traction control. Computer nannies suck. Are you launching your truck as if in a drag race a lot? What do your front pads look like? Have you warped the rotor? Are you turning mostly right or left when off road and are you left foot braking?

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
TSB 10-21-5

FORD: 2010 F-150

ISSUE:
Some 2010 F-150 vehicles consistently operated in extreme muddy environments may exhibit accelerated rear inner brake pad wear.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Wash away mud and foreign material as required.
Inspect brake related hardware for proper positioning and function then service as required. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 206-04.
Install Brake Lining Kit. Refer to WSM, Section 206-04.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
8L3Z-2200-A Brake Lining Kit

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part

OP
OP
phydough

phydough

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks all. My solution will be to fab up some mid mount flaps like a rally car or off road race truck to keep mud, rocks and elk shit from building up and/or damaging things. Last month so much mud and ice built up the truck sat 3" low and wouldn't engage 4x4. Rear shock shields cracked the first week and I do not want to replace the aluminum rear drive shaft.