Rear Brake Caliper Pin Position

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

siooss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 GEN1 and not sure which position the rear brake caliper slide pins go, there are two different slide pins, one solid metal, the other has a cut out on the end that has a round rubber boot, which one goes on top?

Here is representative picture, of what I'm talking about, minus the rubber boot.
brake caliper guide pin 2012 f-150.jpg

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did my rear brakes recently but I can't remember. Regardless, when you remove your pin on your truck you will know

And I hope your kit came with new rubber boots. I purchased OEM pins when I did my rear brakes. Below is the OLD (top) vs new caliper pins:

raptor-rear-brake-pins2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
siooss

siooss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I took them out without noting their position. I ended up putting the slide pin with rubber boot on bottom. Both slide pins with rubber boot were seized up inside the caliper bracket, they would spin, but not move in and out. I think what happened is the rubber boot swelled up with the ceramic brake parts lube I used last time. Switched to NAPA Sil-Glyde lube that won't cause rubber to swell.

R

Rick@FreedomMotorsports

Hate to tell you this but the pin with the rubber on the end goes on top.
We recommend the CRC brake/caliper grease.

OP
OP
siooss

siooss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you @FreedomMotorsports and @Raptor911 for the feedback, next time I will pay closer attention to detail. I did see on the caliper bracket there are two side-by-side punch marks next to one of the slide pin shafts. The Ford maintenance manual doesn't tell you anything useful either and I can't seem to find anyone at the two dealerships I called that can give me a definitive answer either, understandable if haven't done brake job recently/regularly.

R

Rick@FreedomMotorsports

Thank you @FreedomMotorsports and @Raptor911 for the feedback, next time I will pay closer attention to detail. I did see on the caliper bracket there are two side-by-side punch marks next to one of the slide pin shafts. The Ford maintenance manual doesn't tell you anything useful either and I can't seem to find anyone at the two dealerships I called that can give me a definitive answer either, understandable if haven't done brake job recently/regularly.

I asked Chris just to confirm, yep on top and he has done a few brake jobs.
He said over time it could bind but most likely will work in the beginning.
If I recall, I thought when I mixed them up when I did mine, one slid easier than the other.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
read this >> https://www.fordf150.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=94060

Again, I think the caliper pin with the plastic sleeve goes on bottom. Again, I will check when I get home as I know I placed the new pin back they way I took them out.

Please note, the F150 (including the raptor) has been using the same calipers for years. When I get a chance I will craw under a Gen2 raptor at a dealership as there is a hash mark on the bolt head noting the non-sleeved plastic pin (look at the pic above).

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 PM ----------

You need to look on a new truck that has never had a brake job. Given that either pin could fit on top or bottom, then how would you know for certain which one goes where?

I asked Chris just to confirm, yep on top and he has done a few brake jobs.
He said over time it could bind but most likely will work in the beginning.
If I recall, I thought when I mixed them up when I did mine, one slid easier than the other.

Last edited:

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am working on confirming this with a diagram, but the issue that I am running into is that when you look at a Ford catalog diagram only shows the pins and actually shows the exact same part number for both pins.