frozen bolt.Suggestions please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I purchased the purple cranium half spyder to install on my diff. Got all ready saturday morning started removing the 13mm bolts and I got to the 6th one( the last of course) and bam! Sucker is frozen. Now this is a new truck with less than 5000 miles so I was a bit suprised! Got my trusty hammer and adjustable wrench and started pounding without any luck. I am afraid to round off the bolt. I have purchase a bolt extractor socket and will try heating up the bolt then spray a little WD40 then try the bolt extractor. Now keep in mind I am on a creeper under the truck with hand tools. I don't want to have to pay someone to put it on a rack and remove with an air wrench but this is about my last option. You folks have any suggestions and tricks you have tried. I don't want to round off the bolt if I can help it or I am then stuck taking it somewhere to be removed. All this crap for such a simple process.:snoopfacepalm:

Hazzard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little heat should free it up. I would have never thought a bolt on a truck that new would be frozen up though. good luck

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I use to own a 94 landcruiser where every bolt I tried to remove was seized. Try some heat, either from a torch or a nice heat gun. Heat it up and let it cool and then heat it up again and let it cool again. Then turn it slowly and it should come out.

goodluck!

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
or use an impact gun or rent one from a local parts shop. If you use a bigger breaker bar your likely to snap it, then your royally screwed

OP
OP
M

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I hope heat will do the trick. I have been told that along with some penertrating oil the heat should make a huge difference. Working directly under the truck limits the ability to use a breaker bar etc. Thanks for the advice and wish me luck!!!

krww06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope heat will do the trick. I have been told that along with some penertrating oil the heat should make a huge difference. Working directly under the truck limits the ability to use a breaker bar etc. Thanks for the advice and wish me luck!!!

Good luck. Be sure and let us know if the heat does the trick, or what ends up working for you.

R1jamn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not use an adjustable wrench!!

Use a soldering iron on the bolt to get it heated up then use a 1/2" socket with a 3/8" drive to break it loose.

I changed out my rear diff cover and the bolts were tight.
They had some kind of a sealer on them.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
PB blaster instead of wd40. I'd rent the impact gun like mentioned. Or stop being a girl and get that damn bolt out!