DIY Oil Change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stingray23

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My Raptor is at right around 3500 miles and the oil percentage reads 24%. I'd like to change the oil myself. I DO NOT trust the dealership, nor do I have the time to drop it off. I feel that with all that clearance, I should be able to do it myself. Now, I've never done this before. What exactly to do I need? Something to put the oil in, filter wrench, oil, oil filter. Anything else I should know? Should I bother putting synthetic oil at this time or keep it OEM?

f150corey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Raptor is at right around 3500 miles and the oil percentage reads 24%. I'd like to change the oil myself. I DO NOT trust the dealership, nor do I have the time to drop it off. I feel that with all that clearance, I should be able to do it myself. Now, I've never done this before. What exactly to do I need? Something to put the oil in, filter wrench, oil, oil filter. Anything else I should know? Should I bother putting synthetic oil at this time or keep it OEM?

i have chose to let the dealer do my oil change, and to keep it OEM untill all warrentys have expired. all you need it to blow the engine offroad and they say its because you used the wrong oil or didnt change it. and im not sure why you dont trust them. but if they f it up and blow the engine its on them to put in a new engine/fix the problem. and its more on the mechanic that did the change. they do tend to spill a little oil but they use OEM equipment and put in the right amount regardless

IRONMAN

Reaction score
I've had the dealer change my oil and they only take off the small access door to remove the filter. My skid plates were full of oil and stupid thing drip in my drive way.
I had to remove both skids after to wipe off their mess.
If you want the dealer to do it I'd suggest YOU remove both skids before taking it in.
They're too damn lazy to do it, even if you asked them.
They might even charge you a butt load to take it off.
10 bolts and its off in less then 10 minutes.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had the dealer change my oil and they only take off the small access door to remove the filter. My skid plates were full of oil and stupid thing drip in my drive way.
I had to remove both skids after to wipe off their mess.
If you want the dealer to do it I'd suggest YOU remove both skids before taking it in.
They're too damn lazy to do it, even if you asked them.
They might even charge you a butt load to take it off.
10 bolts and its off in less then 10 minutes.

That's a good idea, but don't they question why the skid plates have been removed?

DALTON

Reaction score
My dealer removed the skids and found that one of the bolts had been stripped. They didn't need to get that bolt out to change the oil but did make note of it for the future. They said it was common on the Raptor to have a skid plate bolt stripped at the factory. Glad they dealt with it and not me. My truck will always see the dealer for the oil changes. They have a camera pointed at the service bay that you can watch from the waiting area as well so if anything not looking right is going on I can address it as well.

OP
OP
Stingray23

Stingray23

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Seems very straight forward

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

I just remembered something. Where do I dispose of the old oil?

IRONMAN

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Seems very straight forward

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

I just remembered something. Where do I dispose of the old oil?

Do you have an O'reilly's near you. They normally take it for free.