DIY Oil Change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Almost any auto parts store will take the dirty oil off your hands.

Go with synthetic.

I recommend the Mobil 1 filters. If you take two otherwise identical filters for your Raptor and put one in one hand and a Mobil 1 filter in the other hand, you will notice that the Mobile 1 filters weigh more than anything else on the market. The cans are thicker, the components are better, and the filter media is more substantial.

Here's a little trick to get all of the dirty oil out of the engine. Pull the drain plug and let it drain. (If you have a 6 quart drain pan, it'll overflow.) Replace the drain plug finger tight, and then pull the filter and let that drain. (You will find that a little aluminum foil goes a long way to making this less messy.) When it's done draining, you can put on the new filter. THEN PULL THE CRANKCASE DRAIN PLUG AGAIN. More dirty oil will come out, usually about a half-cup. Removing the filter releases oil in several oil galleries, and it'll drain out if you remove the plug again. If you don't, you will adulterate your nice, new, expensive motor oil with leftover dirty oil. Don't do that.

Here's another trick that your engine will love you for. Before you install the new filter, fill it with your new oil. Doing that greatly reduces the amount of time and revolutions your engine will turn with no oil pressure. Oil will not flow to the engine until the filter is full, so prime the filter with oil before you screw it on. Lube the threads and the gasket with new oil while you're at it.

The 6.2L takes 7 quarts.

Last edited:

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe, and I'll tell them why. lol

I would love to be a fly on the wall during that conversation: "I took the skid plate off so that the grease monkeys you got working here don't get oil on my rigs skid plates. I just cleaned the mud off from last weekends trail run and I'll have it back on before next weeks rock crawling. You got a problem with that?"

LasGod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would anyone recommend taking the raptor to an independent center such as Mr lube? There's one close to me and they do a good job on my Tahoe. The svt dealer here tries to rip me off every time I bring it in. Oh wheel alignment, oh tail lights fogging up but won't cover them under warranty kinda bs.

Sent from my LG-E971 using Tapatalk 2

RajunCajun37

Banned
Reaction score
Walmart? Or the dealership??
OMG, take the time and do a little work yourself. Ain't even gotta lift the truck. Dealership jacked up a bleed valve on my last car. Already had issues with ford and this truck. But Wal-Mart? Or a quick lube?? Ya'll must hate that truck!

How many recent post have we seen with dealerships tear'n up good trucks? Good Luck! I'm doing mine this weekend. Also gonna do the vapor canistor. Going treat corrosion and plan to spray CORROSION X under the hood to protect from moisture and water.

I trust myself, it'll get done RIGHT. Then I can trust driving it 100 mph off road far from civilization.