Differential Service.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I decided to change out the front and rear differential fluid. Also the transfer case fluid. Thanks to Chris at Freedom motorsports for the fluid I needed and the quick service. Removed front and rear covers and drained the fluid. Was concerned because the fluid did look a little milky. Now truck has 8000 miles. Never been in water. Was at Snoball last year but we never did hit any water cause everything was froze. Front and rear fluid looked the same. After draining fluid, what was left in the very bottom of the diffs in the little pocket looked like thisrynyqe5e.jpg. Now only thing I can figure is this must be some type of additive. I am sure a few of you have changed your diff fluids, anyone else's look like this. Transfer case fluid looked in good shape. Just doing this as maintenance. Prepping for Snoball 14.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Captain Awesome

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ya i've done mine when i upgraded the rear diff cover and the front looked the same must be an additive they put in for break in. my back was little milky but i had been threw lots of water so i relocated the rear diff vent line also now its in the bed.

OP
OP
beemerman

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes. The front was worse. I remember a while back a few members saying their diff. Fluids were milky. Think your right just some additive. I could see them doing it in the rear diff being how it is a electric locking. But the front on my 2011 is a open diff. So should not need a additive. But again may just be a breakin additive.

OrangeAddict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What possessed you to do it at 8k? Was thinking of doing mine next summer and changing the cover. But I will have way more miles on it.

OP
OP
beemerman

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I guess because I have always done old school maintenance. Being bmw trained, we always did a 1200 mile service on the cars. Meaning all all fluids were changed at 1200 miles. Not to mention that I am **** about my vehicles. You don't want to know about my oil change intervals. I even felt bad a bout waiting till 8000 miles to do this. I changed the oil at 1000 miles when the truck was new. Just like to give the vehicles I own a good start in life. Lol

OP
OP
beemerman

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Transfer case fluid looked like new. Just thought if I was changing the diffs with am soil. May as we'll do the transfer case also. Am going to do the transmission after Snoball. Checked it and it looks like new.

OrangeAddict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I get that. I am similar. Just never thought of doing it to the diffs, transfer case, and transmission. I am pretty hard core about the oil. Guess I might have just added to my service in jan. Ooh Chris where for art tho.