brake problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowrsx

Reaction score
hey ill get to the point i just changed the front brake pads and rotors and when i was done the pedal was soft a squishy as if there was air in the line the truck also dint real want to stop and you can feel it pull threw the brakes so i tried to bleed them a little and there was no air pockets.. when the truck is off i have a nice stiff pedal when the truck is on the pedal goes to the floor... any help or advice would be graciously appreciated thank you

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there is air in the system you cant just open the bleeder and do a old style bleed. You need to activate the ABS system to move the air out. Go out and mash the brakes as hard as you can maNy timesto get the ABS system working to move any air in there. Or get a NGS and bleed it the way it is suppose to..

OP
OP
S

slowrsx

Reaction score
If there is air in the system you cant just open the bleeder and do a old style bleed. You need to activate the ABS system to move the air out. Go out and mash the brakes as hard as you can maNy timesto get the ABS system working to move any air in there. Or get a NGS and bleed it the way it is suppose to..

If there was air in the lines wouldn't I feel it in the pedal when the truck is off?

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there was air in the lines wouldn't I feel it in the pedal when the truck is off?

No because the assist is not working. The air would be so hard to pick up with your foot. Well, a small amount of air no a large amount of air yes. If you have a large amount of air in the system you have bigger problems you need to look...

OP
OP
S

slowrsx

Reaction score
My only question is if there is air how did it get there fromjust doing a simple pad and rotor change

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

Which pads and rotors did you end up going with?

R1 concept pads and rotors

maximus5403

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My only question is if there is air how did it get there fromjust doing a simple pad and rotor change

---------- Post added at 07:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

R1 concept pads and rotors

When you pushed the piston back into the caliper did you open the bleed screw to release the fluid, or did you just let the fluid push back through the line to the master cylinder?

Bill_C

Reaction score
Normally after you are all done putting everything back together and you pushed the pistons in all the way you will have to pump the pedal to get the pads back to where they should be. Yes you will have a soft pedal but it should firm up after one or two pumps of the pedal. I do this before I start the vehicle. What is happening is you pushed the piston farther back into the caliper than it would normally sit. you pump the pedal and the pistons push the pads out to the rotors and the piston seal will actually pull the pistons back in a little bit.
Did you let the calipers hang by the rubber brake hoses? it is possible to rupture the inside of a brake hose and not see a leak. A flexible rubber brake hose is two layers. I f you kink the hose it could rupture the inside layer and every time you hit the brakes the fluid is going in between the layers and not pushing out the piston. I would check to make sure you don't have a bubble in one of the hoses. Other than that the only other place I can think of is something with the master cylinder.

OP
OP
S

slowrsx

Reaction score
Yes I did let the caliper hang.. how do I check to see that.. cause I did a little bleeding of the lines and was getting good brake pressure. . As for setting pistons on caliper I dont think I pushed them to far in cause it was a tight fit puting the caliper over the pads