BG PF5 Transmission Fluid Flush/Replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TargetBow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spoke to my dealer about doing a transmission fluid flush/replacement to see how they do it and they told me that they use the BG PF5 flushing machine which will replace the old fluid with new fluid of my choice because I asked them if I could supply Amsoil fluid and they said yes.

While talking to the service guy about what all was involved in the flushing process he told me that they use a BG product during the flushing process that dissolves deposits from the transmission components and then the machine removes the old fluid and replaces with new fluid.

My question is will this BG cleaning agent hurt anything in the transmission?
The reason I ask is because there is a note in the service manual that states the following:
NOTICE: Transmission fluids are not interchangeable. The use of any other fluid OR cleaning agents will cause internal transmission damage.
The transmission is the 6R80 that I want to do the fluid flush/replacement to.
Thanks for any response on this issue.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There IS a fine line there, but in short, no, the dealership flush will not hurt your transmission. Their machine is designed to perform a "Hot Flush" and do so in such a way that it continually moves the warm fluid (with the cleaning agent included) through the transmission, not allowing it to sit in the transmission. This is actually the best way to fully flush the transmission fluid.

The second point I want to make clear about this is that when the dealership is performing maintenance to your vehicle according to their service instructions from Ford, which is the case here, you are fully covered in case anything were actually to happen to the transmission. But it is highly unlikely that you will have any issues at all with their flush. Especially when using Amsoil transmission fluid.

That being said, one of the main reasons that using cleaning agents causes damage is NOT from the cleaning agents themselves hurting anything. The biggest reason is because once you have performed that flush and cleaned out all of the built up residue on the clutches in the transmission, you MUST, let me repeat, you MUST take it easy on the transmission for the first 50-100 miles and it wouldn't hurt to take it easy on it for up to 500 miles. This is because that built up residue is not a bad thing, it actually helps the clutches grab and hold to each other and when you clean everything out and start fresh, you have clean clutches that are at risk for slipping. While this seems to be rare with the Raptor, I have seen it many times. A person will have a flush performed, usually with other needed maintenance and they will immediately begin hammering on their vehicle thinking they are good to go because they have performed all their scheduled maintenance and the next thing you know they are throwing transmission codes and slipping the tranny, etc.

In closing, yes, the flush IS safe, just make sure to play it safe and use quality synthetic transmission fluid and also make sure to provide for a break in period just like if the truck were brand new so as to avoid any possible transmission damage.

OP
OP
TargetBow

TargetBow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the detailed reply Chris:
That answers my question considerably and puts me at ease to let the dealership do the flush.
Thanks a bunch and have a great day and upcoming holiday.:handshake:

OP
OP
TargetBow

TargetBow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the help and info Chris!!
I received the Amsoil ATF today and have an appointment to have the OEM transmission fluid flushed out and replaced with the new Amsoil ATF by the dealership on Monday morning.
I asked them if I could watch the process and they said they will let me see once the machine is set-up and ready to flush.
I'm glad you answered my question in such detail putting me at ease in leaving the dealership handle the transmission flush with there BG PF5 machine and BG cleaner. I am no longer worried that the cleaner will hurt the transmission during the flushing process.

Boss Hoss

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is the way I did mine. Took the Amsoil to the Dealer they used the BG machine. You will be watching for awhile because of the thermostat it will take about 20 minutes if memory serves me correctly.

mudblood

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There IS a fine line there, but in short, no, the dealership flush will not hurt your transmission. Their machine is designed to perform a "Hot Flush" and do so in such a way that it continually moves the warm fluid (with the cleaning agent included) through the transmission, not allowing it to sit in the transmission. This is actually the best way to fully flush the transmission fluid.

The second point I want to make clear about this is that when the dealership is performing maintenance to your vehicle according to their service instructions from Ford, which is the case here, you are fully covered in case anything were actually to happen to the transmission. But it is highly unlikely that you will have any issues at all with their flush. Especially when using Amsoil transmission fluid.

That being said, one of the main reasons that using cleaning agents causes damage is NOT from the cleaning agents themselves hurting anything. The biggest reason is because once you have performed that flush and cleaned out all of the built up residue on the clutches in the transmission, you MUST, let me repeat, you MUST take it easy on the transmission for the first 50-100 miles and it wouldn't hurt to take it easy on it for up to 500 miles. This is because that built up residue is not a bad thing, it actually helps the clutches grab and hold to each other and when you clean everything out and start fresh, you have clean clutches that are at risk for slipping. While this seems to be rare with the Raptor, I have seen it many times. A person will have a flush performed, usually with other needed maintenance and they will immediately begin hammering on their vehicle thinking they are good to go because they have performed all their scheduled maintenance and the next thing you know they are throwing transmission codes and slipping the tranny, etc.

In closing, yes, the flush IS safe, just make sure to play it safe and use quality synthetic transmission fluid and also make sure to provide for a break in period just like if the truck were brand new so as to avoid any possible transmission damage.

Excellent post Chris!

OP
OP
TargetBow

TargetBow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Total cost to have the Transmission flush done and fluid replaced with Amsoil Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid was $245.20 That price includes the cost of 18qts. fluid and the cost for the dealer to do the service.
I supplied the 18qts. because the dealer said they would need at least 16qts. for the BG machine and I wanted to be sure I had enough for them.
I only got about 1qt. back after all was done, so it took 17qts. for the dealer to do the service. I guess there is some waste of the new fluid during the flush?
All in all everything went well and I am pleased with the service the dealer did. They did leave me watch during the fluid transfer after the machine was hooked up and I noticed that the old fluid was dark red in color which had 36,470 miles on it.
I commented about the color and the service guy told me that all synthetic fluids in the tranny seem to turn that color fairly quickly and it doesn't mean anything is wrong with the fluid or the tranny. I'm thinking maybe the color had to do with the BG cleaning agent they put in to clean the tranny. Just my opinion.
Makes me feel better that I had the flush done and the fluid replaced with Amsoil even if it didn't really need it per the owners manual. I know the dealer said the filter doesn't need replaced but I may do that later down the road now that I have the fluid changed over to Amsoil.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow, i feel like i got *****. A well respected transmission place near me left me with a bill of $381 including fluid.

Most other places i called refused to work on the Raptor transmission because they were not familiar with it.