Off road air - Different option?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12951
  • Start date

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 12951

I have been exploring the different options of taking compressed air when off road.

Here is what I have come up with from what I have been seeing from google searches and reading threads here (including some jeep ones). I do not want an onboard system, I want something portable so I can use it elsewhere. I really don't want to spend more than $250 - $300 and even less would be better. I do like the idea of being able to fill your tires quickly and having the ability to use air tools (optional).

1. ViAir 450P-Automatic
VIAIR Corporation - 450P-Automatic Compressor (P/N 45043)
I like this because it seems like it would be quick and very portable but mainly for filling tires. I've found cheaper ones but don't want to sit there forever. Plus you never really run out of air.

2. C02 seem to be a popular product. I've been looking at:
Smittybilt 2747 (is this one any good?)
Compact Air System - Smittybilt
The Source
The Source S-KIT10B High Performace Portable Air System with Vehicle Bracket - Amazon.com
Also PowerTank (expensive!) and Outback Air
The C02 idea looks really nice since you could use air tools.

3. But now here is that different question. What is the thought of getting one of those gas powered air compressor. This would accomplish filling tires and using air tools. But I don't see anyone talking about this idea, too large, too heavy? I figure if I am carrying two 5 gallons cans, then I got fuel to run the compressor, if needed. This is what I have found so far:
Ridgid 8 Gal Portable Gas Powered Orange Air Compressor | eBay

Nv Guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good that someone is thinking out of the box, but dragging a gas compressor around is going to get real old real fast. Your going to want to anchor it down real well, and don't forget, most small engine gas tanks are vented, so it's probably going to be leaking gas all over. And then you run into the size issue, these truck's 5.5' bed fill up real fast.
I would go the Viar route simply because getting a CO2 tank refilled can range from real easy to a major PITA depending on your location.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 12951

Wow, around $800? I wasn't wanting to spend that much. If I was going to, I would think perhaps this route instead.
Powermate 4 Gallon Contractor Honda Powered Oil Free Direct Drive Air Compressor | Wayfair

Honda engine and is roughly 21"x24" and weighs 74lbs, so not too bad. As far as the gas leaking, my thoughts would be to only put a little bit of gas when needed but do understand that you will never get the perfect pour so yes, gas leaking would be a concern.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good that someone is thinking out of the box, but dragging a gas compressor around is going to get real old real fast. Your going to want to anchor it down real well, and don't forget, most small engine gas tanks are vented, so it's probably going to be leaking gas all over. And then you run into the size issue, these truck's 5.5' bed fill up real fast.
I would go the Viar route simply because getting a CO2 tank refilled can range from real easy to a major PITA depending on your location.

Using a CO2 tank to air up tires off road is the fastest method available. Filling a tank is typically easy to do - just Google CO2 and/or beverage suppliers and/or welding supply companies.

Nice if you have deep pockets but most of you guys have 2 spares so you can afford ARB stuff!

Some links you might find interesting:

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f67/...igh-quality-lowest-cost-ford-raptor-svt-8432/

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f67/co2-tank-mount-17465/

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f67/...ard-air-system-any-my-eventual-solution-7182/

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f11/viair-onboard-air-how-29451/

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f11/onboard-air-quick-connects-17397/

There are other threads around related to On Board Air and Portable Compressors and CO2 tanks for airing up.

Last edited:

JayneCobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have chosen to go the CO2 route and I'll be picking up some portable power tools, ie battery operated.

OrangeAddict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I choose to go the CO2 route also. I have used my Co2 tank many time and think it was well worth the investment.

Slacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you went CO2 then get air tools, not battery. The CO2 can power air tools for a while. The PowerTank site has a chart to show how long it can run tools based on tank size.

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The ridged seems bulky and at 74lb is heavy, once gased and tank filled it would work well.

I have been ruining 2 options CO2 and a quick air portable compressor (like viair) both are 15+ years old and no failures or maintiance issues.

My CO2 is a 10# power tank that I upgraded the regulator (for performance not failure) and even though it cost a bunch of money it has served well. Divided out the price over the years was about $32 and going down since it still works like new. $13 to fill it 2 or 3 times a year since I have air at home it only gets used on the road or trail. It weighs 30lb with all the accessorys and hose. Fast and reliable and runs air tools.

My quick air portable compressor is nice but I have to run it off the truck battery, it will reach all the tires but it is slower then the power tank. It is lighter still then the CO2 option and takes up less space. Works well just not as fast and it is only for airing tires not air tools.

You won't go wrong with ether of theses it all comes down to personal preference. The cost of the power tank is high but you will get many years of use out of it so the long term cost is not so bad. The quality of the power tank system is top notch. As someone posted you can make you own CO2 set up for less money then power tank and if you are on a budget that is the route I would go.