Left Foot Braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clockton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who has the tutorial on left foot braking at high speeds in the desert? Low speed left foot braking I understand but how do the principals apply at higher speeds?

Smokeshow60

SgtMajor of the MemeCorps
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At high speed its really all about reaction time. Unlike slow/crawling the emphasis is on controlling wheel spin and keeping the driveline loaded

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
"the" tutorial? i wasnt aware of a defacto standard one. if there is one, i'd love to see it.

For me, left foot braking at speed is about vehicle rotation.

Using the technique helps me brake later too.

Left foot brake to set the front end, turn in and be done braking before the apex, back on the gas just before apex, ass end comes around and throttle modulation to get out of the corner as fast as possible.

At speed, I basically am using the brake to increase front-end traction and steering response as-needed.

I also use the technique to get the suspension as close to where i'm gonna need it (travel-wise) for an obstacle.

Well that and doing normal things, like stopping.

You're using the technique to control traction, in either case, the dynamics of what kind of traction is what changes.

dude1782

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You want to left foot brake to keep the truck balanced so you can hit an early apex and set yourself on the proper line. This way you can come off the brake and slide through the turn by steering with the throttle. Another reason for apexing early and putting yourself into the middle of the trail is because it gives you more choice about what line you want to take based on terrain and obstacles. You also probably know to do most of your braking in a straight line, but I'm just going to say it anyway because it's important and maybe some people reading this won't have to learn the hard way. Of course these are all generalizations because it's off road and terrain and corners vary. Once you get used to left foot braking you'll get a feel for it.

One of the main things I've had to get used to with this truck is balance, something I haven't had to worry about with the much lighter off road vehicles I'm used to. Left foot braking helps maintain balance and helps with taking proper lines. In the rough stuff, braking can really throw off your balance and make driving much rougher than with left foot braking. You don't want to push in the nose, mess up your rhythm, and lose momentum that would all help you though the turn.

This video somewhat touches on braking and throttle application with regards to balance and picking lines and gives you a visual representation.

Last edited:

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Clockton,
When I took the Raptor Assault course it was the first time I had ever used my left foot on the brake. I grew up driving standards and my left foot only touched the clutch pedal when necessary.
We were told that using the left foot to apply the brakes helped shift the weight onto the front end for better traction and to load the front end suspension. At first I was using too much force and defeating the purpose; but by the end of the day I was loading the front end into the corner until the right point while modulating the go pedal to exit more quickly. My partner in the truck had driven Mustangs competitively and when he dove into a turn, it was almost like a slingshot exiting the turn...he was that good!

Eddie

saym14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
practice practice practice. your left foot needs to learn the sensitivity needed. with an AT you can LF brake any time or all the time. I used to drive a MT on the track and did LF braking at certain corners, where just a tap is required and you dont necessarily want to lift off the throttle.

bigrig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is more of just a fun video to watch, you will get a little left foot braking advice around 5:35. I just find it entertaining how they are having a normal conversation during their drive here:

Ditchplains1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Colin McRae was phenomenal. World rally drivers are on a whole other level. Not only is he having a normal conversation he's shifting a standard transmission as well as using hand brakes.
In Europe the best drivers are in world rally and F1; and they don't just turn left!

Eddie