what's this under hood wire for??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great question as I just bought a new A.R.E topper , and I would love to know as well before the guys cut into my wiring harness.

dataustin

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The guys who installed my ARE shell tapped into the brake lights. As to the wire, I am pretty sure I heard somewhere that it was set aside to power an electric BBQ grill, mounted in front of the grill and just above a winch....

JDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you had a test light you could test the wire to see if it gets power when the brakes are applied.

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody else have a real answer to this question about this wire?

I don't want the topper installers tearing into the wire harness if I don't have to.

IRONMAN

Reaction score
It's hard to see exactly where that wire is but there is a wire up front near the radiator (on top) that is a temperature sensor I believe.
Looks just like that.

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys!

Please let me know what you come up with, I'm sure I'm not the only one watching this thread.

Again , thanks.

Captain Awesome

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yup like the other said from what i found it's the 3rd break light. was going to install a rear light bar i had from my old truck but never got around to it.