tire pressure sensor fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like the system is dropping one of the sensors...

Yes, it does... but from the research I've done on this issue, replacing the sensors doesn't always work. (as in the case with the OP) So it needs to be something else. There is one common denominator in my case. Every time I've had a sensor failure warning, I've had an FMRS radio in the truck. Could the FMRS be interfering with the RF signal between the tire sensors and the receiver? I believe the radios operate in the 462 to 467 MHz frequency range and the sensors are at 315 or 433 MHz?

(Or? There are many different "claimed" frequencies. But this link indicates the 2009/10 F150 can use *either* 315 or 433 MHz. http://www.f150online.com/forums/20...equency-2009-f-150-tire-pressure-sensors.html )

From what I understand, the sensors can be AM or FM... again, not sure what Ford uses but my guess is FM. There have been reports of aftermarket electronic equipment, even cell phones, alarms, dvd players, and in-dash head units possibly interfering with the TPMS signal?

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like the system is dropping one of the sensors...

Yes, it does... but from the research I've done on this issue, replacing the sensors doesn't always work. (as in the case with the OP) So it needs to be something else. There is one common denominator in my case. Every time I've had a sensor failure warning, I've had an FMRS radio in the truck. Could the FMRS be interfering with the RF signal between the tire sensors and the receiver? I believe the radios operate in the 462 to 467 MHz frequency range and the sensors are at 315 or 433 MHz?

(Or? There are many different "claimed" frequencies. But this link indicates the 2009/10 F150 can use *either* 315 or 433 MHz. http://www.f150online.com/forums/20...equency-2009-f-150-tire-pressure-sensors.html )

From what I understand, the sensors can be AM or FM... again, not sure what Ford uses but my guess is FM. There have been reports of aftermarket electronic equipment, even cell phones, alarms, dvd players, and in-dash head units possibly interfering with the TPMS signal?

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Radio com is one of the areas I am only ok with... that said, a transmitter of sufficient power will step on all other frequencies if it is close enough to the receicver, the amount of power needed drops signifcantly as the distance drops (on the order of cube root of the distance) and the closenes in frequency.

I am willing to bet the tpms is not am.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Radio com is one of the areas I am only ok with... that said, a transmitter of sufficient power will step on all other frequencies if it is close enough to the receicver, the amount of power needed drops signifcantly as the distance drops (on the order of cube root of the distance) and the closenes in frequency.

I am willing to bet the tpms is not am.

OP
OP
S

sweetride

Reaction score
i usually run it around 44 , they replaced all four sensors now, but and reset the computer, but then i get a computer failure ding and a tire pressure ding, every time i go in i think they screw it up more

OP
OP
S

sweetride

Reaction score
i usually run it around 44 , they replaced all four sensors now, but and reset the computer, but then i get a computer failure ding and a tire pressure ding, every time i go in i think they screw it up more

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My truck has been dinging for about a month now and into the shop three times, they replaced all four tire sensors and reset the computer, but yet after another visit friday its still dinging, any one out there know whats going on , seems like the ford dealer i go to has no idea how to fix it in three attempts????

I swear it wasn't me driving near you with my HID KC highlights on. That's what supposedly triggered Mark T's fault in the desert LOL.

Xjrguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My truck has been dinging for about a month now and into the shop three times, they replaced all four tire sensors and reset the computer, but yet after another visit friday its still dinging, any one out there know whats going on , seems like the ford dealer i go to has no idea how to fix it in three attempts????

I swear it wasn't me driving near you with my HID KC highlights on. That's what supposedly triggered Mark T's fault in the desert LOL.

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting that on my trip over the weekend, my low tire sensor came on. I pulle into a gas station and all foru tires were running at 36PSI, I raised them all to 44PSI and no issue, HOWEVER it sure changed the drive... much more road feel at 44... what are most you guys running at on normal roads daily???

SLB8SNK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting that on my trip over the weekend, my low tire sensor came on. I pulle into a gas station and all foru tires were running at 36PSI, I raised them all to 44PSI and no issue, HOWEVER it sure changed the drive... much more road feel at 44... what are most you guys running at on normal roads daily???