Snow and ice performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish I would've gotten a picture, but oh well. Had to chain up the front on Sat to make it up a hill. 18 deg incline with a curve that you had to slow way down on with about 3" of snow and ice beneath that with mud under the ice. About a 200 yd climb, but couldn't make it without chains. Got within the last 100 ft first time w/o chains and then second time only 150 ft. Once chained up no problem getting over. Went through other spots that were worse, but at that point had the irons on, so no problems.

Did learn though that hill descent mode does work while going in reverse.

Even on snow and ice hill descent is decent, but as different wheels go over different bumps it seems that's what really throws it off and gives the 'jerky' braking. Anytime your movement is slowed by a significant bump it's like it releases the brakes to keep momentum, anticipating that bump is going to slow you down too much, then realizes it didn't and applies the brakes firm. Unless going really, really slow and knowing the road surface was smooth, I wouldn't totally trust hill descent on an ice covered hill while off road, keep the brake covered so you can take control when hill decent releases the brakes too much. On pavement it may be okay, but the bumps really throws it off. It just releases the brakes too much, wish I could fine tune it to hold braking longer and just basically never release the brakes....