Snow and ice performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys snd gals, I was wondering how the cold wx performance is in the Raptor?

I live in Montana and drive a lot of snow and ice roads , does the torsion front end push or pull around corners in 4x4 on the highway? How does it do in deeper snow? Do any of you have experience running chains off-road on your Raptors?

I'm thinking of trading my new 2014 Superduty and getting a Raptor. But I'm hesitant to make the switch I don't need to tow heavy now so I really don't need my 6.7.

Thanks

Sorry , didn't realize I was in the MX forum.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hoverp

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Snow snd ice performance.

Hi guys snd gals, I was wondering how the cold wx performance is in the Raptor?

I live in Montana and drive a lot of snow and ice roads , does the torsion front end push or pull around corners in 4x4 on the highway? How does it do in deeper snow? Do any of you have experience running chains off-road on your Raptors?

I'm thinking of trading my new 2014 Superduty and getting a Raptor. But I'm hesitant to make the switch I don't need to tow heavy now so I really don't need my 6.7.

Thanks

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
75+ of us did just fine in the UP of Michigan for Snoball. A lot of us running stock suspension and tires. Did we get stuck sometimes? Of course, but overall it handled above and beyond my expectations. One of the days the snow was so deep you could see where the skid plates were leveling the snow out.

BramageDained

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in MN, did both SnoBalls and spent every weekend that the ice was safe doing laps of ice tracks on frozen lakes. There was a fair bit of driving around frozen lakes without plowed roads ice fishing, too.

4WD is very predictable. The truck(in 4wd) follows steering input well and you have to try reasonably hard to get it out of shape/drift. The stock BFGs do just fine in snow and ice. That said, the stock tires do not really have a great deal of siping.

debate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Raptor's fun in a blizzard. Probably excels because the suspension forcing the wheels down agressivly. You'll get passed by snowmobilers, but that's it.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check out the information in the thread below

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f113/snoball-2014-a-28260/

The Raptor is very capable in the snow and in that event we covered just over 700 miles in conditions ranging from icy paved roads, snow covered secondary roads and wooded longing trails that can't even really be counted as roads with 2-3 ft of snow on then. The only time most people had any issues, were a direct result of people playing a little bit too hard or taking a chance here and there. (With the exception of a couple of actual accidents like Billy or Carl's trucks) One thing I found, I removed my skid plate for that event and a LOT of folks were winding up in the ditches when they would hit the snow banks while I was literally trying to get stuck in them and didn't. What I assume from that is that the skid plate acted as a kind of ski and mine being removed allowed the front cross member to provide enough drag to help keep me out of the ditches and trees.

Overall, the Raptor would probably fare better than the truck you have now in the snow.