Snell M vs SA helmet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BGA23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand the difference between the two certifications, my question is do I need a SA helmet or would an M one suffice? I do some track days in my raptor and a helmet is required (they just want to see one on) and may wear it on some runs but I don't plan to do any racing in my Raptor or another car/truck. SA helmets are tough to find but M rated helmets are all over the place.

Rookie

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
SA2010 seems to be the most recommended as far as usability for different stuff. I think most people who just wear it on the occasional run wear a DOT rated helmet as they're usually cheaper.

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Just fYI, the 2010, 2005, 2015 are dates, that are good for 12 years. A SA2010 expires in 2022.

We're required to run SA helmets desert racing. I have this one. Impact Racing Air Draft OS20 Helmet

For TRR I only require DOT helmets.

You need to ask yourself if you feel comfortable wearing a helmet rated for Motorcycle use in an automotive situation? I'd stick with one designed for automotive use. They're not cheap though, but ya only got one melon.

Last edited:

rap67

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're not cheap though, but ya only got one melon.

so true.

when looking for a helmet for the upcoming HAVOC my wife and I found a lot of SA2010 helmets in a very wide price range from a few hundred to a few thousand.

she settled on an HJC for around 500 and Im bouncing between a bell and Hjc for 600 and 700 respectively.

D

Deleted member 12951

I got a Snell for myself and wife but decided on the M for cost reasons. Got the Scorpion EXO R410.

You can go to www.smf.org for a bunch of information on differences.

As far as for Raptor runs, most just want DOT. I've only been on one that wanted Snell but M was good enough for that.

Last edited by a moderator:

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
Most other events require Snell SA (drag racing, Texas Mile, etc.) and will NOT allow Snell M. Here are the differences between the two:
http://www.smf.org/helmetfaq#aSAMKdiff

What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?

The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while the M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:

1. The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
  2. The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than the M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
  3. The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi-impact test while the M standard does not.

Hazzard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Helmets in my opinion are a "buy once cry once" type of thing. Don't cheap out on something like this and i'm not talking about purely safety selling points, the comfort level of a nice helmet is what sold me.

OP
OP
B

BGA23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most other events require Snell SA (drag racing, Texas Mile, etc.) and will NOT allow Snell M. Here are the differences between the two:
Snell Foundation - Helmet FAQ

I don't do any of those sorts of things, just some Raptor runs and casual dirt track days that require a helmet.

Helmets in my opinion are a "buy once cry once" type of thing. Don't cheap out on something like this and i'm not talking about purely safety selling points, the comfort level of a nice helmet is what sold me.

I completely agree but there aren't all that many Snell SA helmets available, going "down" to a Snell M opens up a huge selection. So I'm just trying to determine if a Snell M will suffice for my needs or if I should go with an SA.

Hazzard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Simpson diamondback that is SA2010, it has served me very well. I guess its all up to preference and what you feel is needed for ur activities. I bought the diamondback because I wanted something that would cover all the bases.