Raptor tire compound the same as off the shelf

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I wrote to BFG and asked them the question about a different compound for the Raptor OEM tire, below is the email :

05/23/2014

Hello Patrick,

Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

In regards to the email you sent stating:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Is the BFG AT. OEM tire that came on my new Raptor , a different compound than a normal off the shelf BFG AT?

I want to replace my OEM tires with OEM when the stock ones wear out. I love the factory compound. Is there a was of telling by stock number or something? Or is there no difference?

Thank you!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The tire would be the same as you would purchase anywhere.

We did not make a different tire for the Raptor.

If you have other questions or concerns feel free to give us a call at the number listed below.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing BFGoodrich.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-877-788-8899 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

John
Consumer Care Department
Certified BFGoodrich Product Expert

mikehoncho88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Tirerack lists it as a separate tire. I assumed it was the same as the KM1 on a Jeep Rubicon, which was a cheaper version made special for Jeep.

CP RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the "GM" part number bfg's and they even look different. I can also say theyre wearing MUCH better than the stockers I kept for winter. They feel harder (compound) and when Ford replaced the stocks under warranty... They refused to give me the GM ones and said they have to be the ones that came on the truck. Seems odd but maybe im wrong. Or just stupid lol

OP
OP
Hoverp

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where do you see the speed rating?

---------- Post added at 07:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 AM ----------

I bought the "GM" part number bfg's and they even look different. I can also say theyre wearing MUCH better than the stockers I kept for winter. They feel harder (compound) and when Ford replaced the stocks under warranty... They refused to give me the GM ones and said they have to be the ones that came on the truck. Seems odd but maybe im wrong. Or just stupid lol

What do you mean by "GM" ones?

OP
OP
Hoverp

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, there are 2 versions, 121/118R and 121/118S, best way to compare is the tirerack site, type in The Raptor vehicle and the pull up all tires that fit. Then select the 2 BFG AT KO the OEM and the other, click compare at the bottom , and you can see the side by side comparison.

Why would BFG say there is no difference ? There is even a price difference.

SVTBuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The difference between R and S is the speed rating. R = 106mph and S = 112 mph. So I believe what BFG are saying is that the S rated tire that comes on the Raptor is the same one you would buy anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
OP
Hoverp

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But there is a difference in the specs as well. Part numbers, Price, SPEED RATING , OD, lighter, and different tread width. Not much difference between the 2 but still different . They are not the same tire as far as I can see.

And that makes me wonder about the compound?

Not at you can probably tell the slight differences at all by driving on them.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have always understood it this way. The factory BFG tires were not available until they were introduced on the Raptor. It is a different compound/speed rating. However, it is not a Raptor specific tire.

Basically, Ford said this is what we want, can you make it? Of course BFG made the tire but anyone can buy it. You don't have to use this specific tire when replacing the stock ones, and you could use these on any vehicle that they would fit on.

Why would BFG come out and say: Yes, these tires are Raptor specific, and miss out on selling a boat load of tires they may have never have sold, due to marketing them as " Raptor specific"?