Purchased a New Travel Trailer - Nervous to Tow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mesposito

Reaction score
Purchased a new Keystone RV Travel Trailer over the weekend and will be towing it with my 2011 SC Raptor up to our property in WV next weekend (approximately 2.5 hour drive). A bit nervous as this will be the first time I will be towing anything. It weights about 7400lbs and I know that the vehicle has a max of 8000. I purchased a dual ram hitch and brake controller from the rv dealer - at his recommendation - I hope this helps.

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Purchased a new Keystone RV Travel Trailer over the weekend and will be towing it with my 2011 SC Raptor up to our property in WV next weekend (approximately 2.5 hour drive). A bit nervous as this will be the first time I will be towing anything. It weights about 7400lbs and I know that the vehicle has a max of 8000. I purchased a dual ram hitch and brake controller from the rv dealer - at his recommendation - I hope this helps.

You will have no problems... I pull my 24ft enclosed haulmark around with my supercab and its no problem. I thought the new trucks were only rated at 7k towing... oh well you will still have no problem... Is that a goose neck hitch?

OP
OP
mesposito

mesposito

Reaction score
Thanks for the link - I will read through the posts.

What also makes me a bit nervous is that I have a severe acute angle to maneuver on the way up to the property as well as a lengthy drive in reverse to position the RV.

SeaRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a quick recommendation, if you have never towed before maybe find a very large empty parking lot and practice backing the trailer into a space. That usually is the trickiest part for someone new to towing. Once you get the concept down its cake.
Good luck to ya!!

SilverBolt

Hired Gun
Reaction score
Leave yourself plenty of stopping distance. It will take some playing with the trailer brakes to get them dialed in. Find some empty road and get them setup to your liking. I tend to have the trailer brakes come in a fraction before the truck brakes. I have found that it helps keep the trailer straight during hard braking.

AVALANCHE

FRF Addict
Reaction score
One is that a weight distribution hitch I hope? And two you may want to look into a set of timbren kit bump stops. It would help your truck from sagging to the ground and bottoming out your shocks. Just my experience. I have close to the same trailer. Toyhauler.

Spider-One

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything I've read says to drive at 25mph then using trailer brakes alone adjust the controller to a point just before the wheels lock up, which provides maximum braking without locking up.