One and ONLY gas mileage thread please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
12 is good. I can't seem to do much better than 10 with a mix of city/hwy driving.

I'm going to install a Volant CAI this weekend, hopefully that helps. How much does the 5-star tune help?

I'm also going to be towing my 4400 lb. travel trailer to the desert next week. I may have to leave it there unless I can figure out a way to improve MPG.

I have the Airaid CAI and 5-Star Tuning. However, I am running 91 octane performance tune. I have not yet tried my 87 octane economy tune.

florchak

Reaction score
Got my truck Friday and took on a little fall Michigan tour to Frankenmuth. Going there, which is just slightly up hill for 1.5 hrs on I-75 freeway was 13.1 mpg. Then coming back I took all back roads at a max of 60 mph and some dirt roads at less than 40 mph. Overall the trip was 200 miles and finished at 14.1mpg which I think is GREAT. I have a heavy foot but only got on it a few time then the rest was trying to keep thay little green bar on the economy meter above the average. Maybe that is sad but I wanted to compare to my 2008 5.3L suburban which got about 16 on the same trip. I am now wondering what it will do towing my 17 ft twin axle trailer which is very high with high wind load. I rarely got above 9.5mpg in the suburban with that trailer but I tow faster then I should. IT IS THE RACER IN ME, anxious to get to the track and have some real fun!

naimad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
12 is good. I can't seem to do much better than 10 with a mix of city/hwy driving.

I'm going to install a Volant CAI this weekend, hopefully that helps. How much does the 5-star tune help?

I'm also going to be towing my 4400 lb. travel trailer to the desert next week. I may have to leave it there unless I can figure out a way to improve MPG.

I have the 5 star tune running the 91 performance tune with a volant cai the best i am getting is 10 mpg,when stock the best i was getting was around 12 mpg,my truck has 30k on it

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
milage while towing

Fri I ran a little test. I pulled an empty car trailer overthe Cascade Mts from E WA to Seattle and picked up an F150. This is just shy of 300 miles and from sea level to over one 3000 ft pass and a couple of 2500 ft ones.

Going empty, I was 14.8

PB020005.jpg

On the trip home, I got screwed. I was sitting on 12.6 when I hit a construction zone. It took 2.5 hrs to go 5 miles. My milage was 10.2 when got to the other side of it. When I got home it was sitting on 11.9.

PB020009.jpg

When I left home, the overall milage was 15.8 for 1400+ miles. When I got home the over all for 2000+ miles was right at 15.

Last edited:

mrmojoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had thought I had mentally prepared for the MPG, telling myself if wasn't going too different than my old F150. But wow, it sure loves the fuel. Trying my best my 30 mile trip home from work is getting me 14.4 MPG, having some fun is about 13 MPG. I think I'll stop trying. '13 SCAB.

Swanny

Reaction score
I have the 5 star tune running the 91 performance tune with a volant cai the best i am getting is 10 mpg,when stock the best i was getting was around 12 mpg,my truck has 30k on it

Same setup, but with the 87, that is about what I get as well. But, I see 100 at least once a week, and keep it between 75 and 80 most of the time on the 11 mile hwy trip home from work. Whats the point of not doing it?!?!